3

Reshma woke up with a start. Someone was banging her room door. Her roommates also woke up groggily.

"Who's there?" Sarla asked, sleepy.

"I don't know," one of them said.

"I'll check," another one said. She went and opened the door. The receptionist was here.

"There's a call," she said, "for Reshma."

Everyone started murmuring as Reshma stood, blank. It was 2:00 a.m. Who was so desperate?

"I'm not even dressed. Ask him to choose a night shift woman." Reshma squeaked.

"No. He's asked for you. It's your usual guy."

Usually guy... oh! It was mister nameless. At this untimely hour?

"Then I won't even bother changing clothes," she said and went to brush her teeth.

Few minutes later, she was at the doors, standing infront of the messed-up guy. She had to speak to him tonight.

"Dekhiye, sahib, all this..."

He cut her short. "You can call me by my name. Ishaan."

Reshma was taken aback. She had not expected him to speak anything personal. Nodding, she continued, "Yes, whatever. Ishaan. See, till date, i tolerated you, wasting my time. But now, you're even ruining my sleep? It's 2:00 a.m, are you insane?"

"Look," he said, "I really need this time i get. If you want more payment, i have more."

"More payment? As if ten thousand is less for a prostitute like me. Listen, Ishaan, if you really want, you can be our trustee in the brothel and donate as much money as you want. But, please! Spare me the trouble." Reshma burst out.

"This one night?" he pleaded.

"You've woken me up anyways. Get in."

Ishaan walked in. As usual, he switched on the bathroom lights.

"Wait!" Reshma stopped him. She turned on the room lights. "The...the bathroom is wet. There was a customer with me before i slept an hour ago."

Ishaan opened the bathroom door. The white tile shimmered with water. He closed it.

"Can I...uh...I..."

"Speak up!" Reshma exclaimed.

"I'll stay in the room. Could you go out?"

"What for?"

"I like it that way. Having privacy..."

"No." Reshma stated. Ishaan looked blank at this abrupt answer. "People will start questioning me, or speak things...about me..."

"Okay, then you'll sleep?"

"I'm not sleepy." Reshma was rude, she knew it. But it was okay to behave like that at times. At least with him.

Ishaan looked perplexed. He looked as if he'd fall limp right then and there.

"Whoa...hey!" Reshma exclaimed. "Sit, sit."

Ishaan sat on the bed, his head in his hands.

"What's wrong?" she asked him, a little bit worried.

"Head hurts," he replied.

"You want some tablets or...or something?"

He looked at her. "I know what will cure it," he said. "I just need some space."