10

Ishaan looked very angry. Reshma was scared to even speak a word. What if he bursts out on her? So she was just looking at him, then his surroundings. His hands were clenched. He was tapping his feet. And then he spoke out. “Again,” he sighed. Unclenching his hands, he continued.
“He hit her again.”
Reshma understood. He was talking about his parents.
“And I’m not doing anything about it,” he took a deep breath.
“You can do something about it?” Reshma asked.
“My blood boils. That’s all that happens.” He continued, turning a deaf ear to her.
“I just asked you something. Can you do something about it?”
“...I don’t know.”
“You can.”
Ishaan looked at her, eyebrows raised.
“Look, Ishaan, you’re earning now. And the pay is, like, real good. You are standing on your own feet. Apne pairon pe khud khade ho. You can stand up for your mother, now. What’s the worst that will happen? He will kick you out of the house? Fine. You have your own money. The best that can happen? He’ll listen to you. Try it na.” Reshma explained.
Ishaan listened intently. He was quiet for some time. Then he got up. “I’m tired. I’ll go sleep.”
Reshma looked at the clock. 2.15 a.m. It had been only fifteen minutes since he arrived. But she didn’t tell a word. Ishaan left. Before leaving, he kept a small box on the bedside table. It was neatly wrapped in green paper.
After he left, she tore open the wrapper to find a phone inside the box. Not a huge one, but a new one nevertheless. She smiled to herself, and took it back with her to her room.
~~~