13

“No. Not there! Keep that table between the bed and the window. It will look good,” Reshma told Ishaan. They were in Ishaan’s new house, arranging furniture. Ishaan had brought her to his home, on knowing that it was some kind of holiday for the girls of the brothel. Reshma adjusted her twinkling blue dupatta, before continuing, “Use your senses, no, Ishaan. There’s a plug point here. You can put a bedside lamp if you want.”
“Ha baba! Theek hai!” he said, folding his hands and bending.
“Oye!” she laughed, hitting his hand playfully.
“Sit, na. Look at the view outside. It’s so beautiful.”
“There’s still so much for you to do!”
“That we can do later,” he gestured outside the huge window. “Look at it. So beautiful.”
The sky was slowly turning into a shade of orange as the sun started hiding in the horizons. The buildings outside were gleaming very bright. One could see a couple of stars twinkling in the sky, its reflection being seen in a pond  in the nearby society garden.
Reshma sighed. “Beautiful indeed.” She sat down next to him.
Ishaan looked at her and cleared his throat.
“Reshma... I really, really want to thank you for everything,” Ishaan said.
“Eh?” Reshma asked. Ishaan took her hand in his.
“You know how I was right? Depressed, addicted to drugs, lost soul...without you...I’d never change into what I am today.”
Reshma sat quiet.
“Can’t you see how happy I am now? Happy, healthy, with a job, earning just fine... all because of you,” he smiled. “Thank you. For telling me your name on that very first day, for coping with me and my shitty life problems, for...” Ishaan took a deep breath.
“Hey, hey, hey...Ish-“ Reshma stopped midway. She did not know what to say. Instead, she just sat there, holding his hand tightly.
“Tanya...you gave me a new life,” Ishaan said, looking deep into her eyes.
As the sun settled deep under the horizon, Ishaan’s lips settled on Reshma’s. At that moment, she knew whom she, Tanya, would want to lose herself to.
But did she stand a chance? She didn’t know. After all, she was nothing but Reshma—a prostitute.