CHAPTER 16: THE LIE

I'm happy that I got this far.

I know, I either mumble on about food or that I'm surprised that I made this many chapters but that's because it's true. I have very little motivation and the fact that I'm writing one or two of these per day is astounding.

Oh, duh. You're here for the story.

Chapter 16: The Lie

"I think that Thanatos likes you," Osiris tells me. I look up at him with wide eyes.

Everyone else is in the little convenient store buying snacks and drink, Thanatos pays for gas at the counter while Osiris and I wait out by the van.

We're on our way back home since it's Sunday and we all have work tomorrow.

I have no clue why Osiris would tell me that.

"He what? No. Thanatos despises me. I can't even say his name." I sputter out. "There's no way he likes me, he doesn't even want to be my friend."

"Trust me," Osiris shakes his head. "Thanatos does not despise you. And the liking I was talking about was not platonic."

I blink once.

Twice.

Then I laugh.

"You can't be serious. He's been glaring at me since high school, hell, maybe even in middle school he'd throw me little scowls." I frown. "He can't like me as a friend or as a crush. It's not possible."

It's unthinkable, that's what it is.

"Why isn't it?" Osiris smiles down at me. "Thanatos is a closed-off guy. You know better than anyone that the cold, blank expression he wears keeps his emotions locked behind is a facade. You can see past it. That emotion you can't place, what if it's his affection for you? What if all the glares are him trying to stop himself from feeling the way he does about you?"

Shit.

Osiris should stop messing with my brain like this.

"Why are you telling me this?" I ask. "He's your friend, obviously he's not happy with me no matter the way you look at it."

Does he like me at all?

Is what Osiris said true?

Is that why he glares at me?

"You're thinking about it, aren't you?" Osiris questions. My frown is his only response.

When the gas stations bell rings and my friend's laughter floods the air, I flinch and stare at the ground. Osiris is wrong; Thanatos couldn't possibly like me.

He's a good person, I know that, but he doesn't like me. He's guarded, and he despises the fact that I can see past all his walls.

That's it.

He said he didn't hate me when I asked but all his actions show how much he dislikes me around him.

I can't even say his name.

How much discontentment does someone have to have with another person until they don't even allow their name to be spoken from their lips?

"Bug?" Damon snaps his fingers in front of my face. I flinch back.

"Sorry?" I stare up at Damon, wide-eyed.

"You okay?" He frowns. "I called your name at least two times and you just stared at the ground."

"What? Oh, I'm fine, sorry. I just spaced out."

"Hm, okay, well everyone's already in the van, get a move on." Damon nudges me to the side. I breathe in deeply before I climb into the passenger seat.