CHAPTER 26: THE THREAT

You guys!

I did it, I made it to chapter 26 without throwing my phone at the wall. I'm writing this whole book on my phone, I'm going to get arthritis when I'm older folks but that's the price I must pay for my writing. Love y'all.

Oh, duh. You're here for the story.

Chapter 26: The Threat

My body hurts, a shiver going up my spine as goosebumps flourish against my skin as I gulp past the ache in my throat.

The world is foggy and I stumble like a drunkard as I walk.

While I was hugging Damon goodbye before he was leaving for his college I managed to trip on my bag in the middle of the airport and right in the way of a coughing old man.

The man did not cover his mouth and now it's my theory that I have whatever cold he did.

It's been almost five days, I'm no longer contagious because I'm taking medicine but I am extremely tired and bored.

So I thought it would be a good idea to walk to the cafe with Josephine, but to be fair I am a little dopey on the cold medicine Joey gave me earlier.

It wasn't a good idea for a number of reasons.

One, Joey is a ball fo energy and she is all hyped up and constantly jabbering on about her date with Osiris that's tonight. I'm okay with listening to anything she said but not when she was talking a mile a minute and with my already slow brain it was making me feel dumb.

Two, my body was now sore in more than one way as we approached the cafe doors. I hated feeling like I'd drop any second, especially with the dulled down senses that the medicine caused me to have.

And last, but not least, everyone is going to see me in my pale, bags under the eyes, loopy mind, shorts and Thanatos' large shirt attire that makes me look like a zombie- aka, gross state.

Fun.

Not really.

I trudged behind Joey as she excitedly opened the cafe's doors, I winced slightly as she bounced around the store, greeting Apollo who was behind the counter and the other two employees that are on call today, before rushing over to the wrap-around booth that Maven, Osiris, and Thanatos are in.

Everyone moves down when they see Joey, who plops down next to Osiris. Everyone waves at me when I approach the booth, their eyes taking a concerned look as they see me.

Guess I do look bad.

I can only blink in response as my jumbled thoughts try to come together to guess what they are thinking.

I surprise myself, and probably everyone in the booth when I sit down next to Thanatos and climb onto his lap. Thanatos freezes but I don't care, he's so warm and comfortable and I am way too tired to think straight.

I curl up on him, my legs resting on either side of his as I bury my arms against his chest before I nuzzle my head under his chin with a content sigh.

He melts against me a second later and I completely do the same.

"Hi," I mutter tiredly.

Everyone comes out of their shocked states enough to greet me back.

Why is everyone acting so weird?

I'm just sitting with -or on- Thanatos. I want to do this all the time but usually, I'm too self-conscious about it but now I'm too tired to care.