17

Mateo Torrez

10:03 a.m.

I'm still in shock. This is amazing. I'm back in my home, I'm reunited with my mother, I'm reunited with Rufus and now we're laying in bed relaxing.

"Do you think they've sent my body to a funeral home yet?" I know it's a dark question but I have nothing to talk about.

"If they did that the morticians gonna have a difficult time."

"What do you mean?" I swallow. I know what he means, but I'm afraid to confront the truth.

"Last I saw you, you were burned really bad, like really bad..."

There's a silence.

"Maybe they'll give you a closed casket?"

"No, if my dad's still in a coma then Lidiah will be the one incharge of it. I asked her to be in charge of it back at Clint's Graveyard when we were alone."

I pause. My best friend is planning my funeral. I want to cry again.

"I think corpse-Mateo will be fine." Rufus says with a slight smirk, I can't help but smile back.

"They'll have to use a lot of makeup to cover these." I hold out my arm, showing my burn scars.

"Mateo."

"Hmm?"

"I know you told me you said when you were watching me that you showed up around when I was yelling at the paramedics but..."

"Yea?"

"When... did you die?" There's a certain tension to this question. "Im sorry it's just, I need to know that it's not my fault. I've been like, torturing myself over it, that if I'd woken up a few seconds earlier, or if I ran into the apartment to get you a minute sooner, or if I'd been a few seconds quicker finding you or pulling you out and-"

He trails on but I stop him.

"Roof..."

He looks at me

"It isn't your fault." I smile "I was already gone by the time you woke up." I don't know if saying that makes him feel better or worse but it's the truth. I continue, "Last thing I remember was turning the dial on the stove. There was this feeling of dread and fear... I turned away and then-" I pause "Boom, flames everywhere, I was on the kitchen floor.... I could feel the fire but it only hurt for a few seconds. Then everything when dark..." I choke back tears.

He looks at me.

"Damn."

"What about you?" I say, hoping to ease the tension.

"You already know what happened." He laughs. We're talking about our deaths and he actually laughs. Maybe it's a nervous laugh but still. He never ceases to amaze me.

"I was an idiot." He continues, "I was heading to Althea and then it happened, I didn't hear it coming because I was listening to your video."

He looks at me and jokingly punches me in the arm, not the scarred one.

"It's your fault then, your video distracted me." He laughs again.

"Now what?" I ask

"What do you mean?"

"What do we do now?" He knows what I mean, "Where do we go from here, are we still... a thing?"

"A thing?"

"Well I don't know what to call it and I didn't know what you thought and-" keep rambling but he cuts me off with a kiss.

"Do you want us to be a thing?"

"Yes..."

"Really?" He sounds surprised. "You seemed like one of those people who'd want to go slow and take time to meet the right person and shit"
"Before yesterday I didn't even know what I wanted, but now I do"

"So what do you want?"

"I think I want you"

"So that makes you my boyfriend."

"I like that, I like that a lot."