Epilogue

Rufus Emeterio

12:54 p.m.

Everyone talking quietly to each other, it's pretty nice. Jane is standing on Mateo's side of the altar--because she also managed to talk her way into being Mateo's maid of honor-- talking to the officiant.

Olivia nudges me "So Roof, you nervous?" She says in this tone that screams I-know-damn-well-you're-nervous-but-I'm-your-sister-so-i-want-you-to-admit-it.

"A little bit." I lie, I'm more than a little nervous but I'm not giving her the satisfaction of knowing.

"Mhm, sure"

"Ok yes, I'm really nervous." Well so much for not giving her the satisfaction

"Why? You've been with Mateo since you were 17 and now your 28, just relax, he's not gonna go run-away-groom on you"

"I guess you're right"

"I know I am, that's why I said it." She looks up and me and gives this devilish smile and I can't help but laugh.

Suddenly the music comes on. I look forward and freeze in place

Olivia elbows me and mutters "There he is."

There he is

There he is. Wearing an all white tux with a bouquet of roses--Mateo can be a cliche sometimes but I love it--his mother on his right, holding onto his arm. He takes a step, then another. My heart is ready to jump out of my chest, he looks like a damn angel. Before I can even register what's happening he's right across from me on the other side of the altar. I want to push the officiant out of the way and kiss Mateo but I know I have to be patient.

The officiants speech doesn't last long at all and before I know it it's time for the vows. Mateo goes first.

"Rufus." My heart skips a beat anytime Mateo says my name. "Before I met you, I spent most of my days alone. I never bothered to talk to other people because I was scared they reject me or hate me. When I met you that day i was so scared, I thought the whole world was against me. I was given 24 hours and you were right by my side helping me make the most of each minute. When the day ended I thought what was the end of us but you kept your promise and found me and stayed with me. You stayed and for that I'm so grateful." His voice breaks on the last sentence with tears in his eyes. Behind him I see Jane's already crying. I didn't live long enough to see a wedding so I didn't think wedding would be full of so many tears. Now it's time for my vows.