Chapter 29

'Mommy.' I could hear his voice in the wind as I held his small ice cold body. I hugged it tightly to my body as I walked. The tears still streaming down my face.

The rain had stopped but the wind howled. His last words caught in an ever ending cycle.

'I love y-'
'I love y-'
'I love y-'
'I love y-'

With the one place in mind I kept walking. Every past memory with S-Sam repeating in my mind.

The nights he jumped into bed in a stormy night. "He doesn't like the lightning. He prefers the snow." I repeated to myself.

I looked down at Sam as I whispered to him, "do you want to go to the field again, baby?" I asked before smiling as I see we are there.

"Here we are, baby boy. So you can spent the-" I felt my voice break but I forced myself to continue, "rest of your time on earth running around in your favorite place, baby. I will stay here will you too." I walk to the big tree that overlooked the field and sky.

I set him down next to it as I began to claw at the floor not feeling how my nails broke and blood got stuck. The ground was so hard that I didn't want him to be there. "Don't be afraid, baby. At least now you can play for as long as you want." I said settling him down in the three foot deep hole.

Just then it began to snow. The white flakes rained down on us the sky seemed a bit brighter. More light.

"See, now you can see the field covered in snow this year again. It beautiful, baby." I said looking as the snow fell on the field. "Sleep tight, baby." I held back a cry and pushed the dirt back over him.

Once it was all covered I allowed myself to cry. "Baby, I love you. I love you, too. Baby." I cried leaning over the dirt I just pushed over him.

Then I get the anger. The raw and furious anger that he was taken from me. "Why?!" I shouted at the sky. To the goddess. "Why him?!" I screamed. "Why him?!" I whimpered crawling closer to him.

"He was my baby. He was my baby boy!" I shouted half crying have scream.

I let it all out. The tears, the pain, the anger, everything.

"No. No. No! You can't have him. Please he's mine." I pleaded. I pounded at the ground scratching my hands red and raw.

Until I felt nothing. I looked down at the ground of dirt. It looked so different compared to the field. I walked over to the field that had noticeable snow on it. I ripped off a few flowers. It was so innocent and beautiful that for a second it made the world seem like nothing bad could happen. But look at where I am.

I took them back to him and put them together and placed them on him. "There." I said smiling softly. I laid down next to him. My baby.

***

"Rue?! Rue?!" I heard voices in the distance making me slowly open my puffy red eyes.

I looked around me for a moment forgetting what happened then I saw the flowers. The dirt. Sam.

My baby Sam. No! I looked up just as I saw a flash light point my direction. The sky was darker now. The snow was still falling. I saw how it had formed a small blanket over Sam's grav- bed.

"Ohh my goddess! Rue!" I heard a voice exclaimed. I felt arms around me but couldn't process who it was. "Rue, where is Sam?" The voice asked.

Sam? My baby? Sam! "No. No." I repeated looking down at Sam bed. I placed a hand over it hearing a gasp next to me.

Then I felt the arms around me again. I could feel myself being carried and then I lost conscious again.

***