Chapter 2

Senya woke with a jolt. The room swam slowly into focus as she rubbed her eyes. She had been dreaming again. Something about the Great War, excruciating pain, and becoming one with the earth.....

She sighed in exasperation. It was a dream she'd been having since her last birthday when she had officially become an apprentice. But she could never remember all of it and it was so infuriating...

A sharp knock sounded on the door and she jumped.

"Senya! Are you up yet? Breakfast is waiting, and you need to make your rounds!"

Senya winced from the loud voice. "Yes Babcia" she replied. "I'll be out in a minute". Wrapping her kilt around her and securing it with her favorite sash, she hefted up her heavy basket of pottery and walked towards the door.

Just when she reached the door, she tripped. Letting out a yelp, she instantly tucked herself around the basket to prevent the pottery from breaking. Quickly, she sat up to see what she had tripped over.

At first glance, it seemed like an ordinary object. It looked like an oval, only it was bigger at the base than at the tip and perfectly symmetrical. Senya stared at it in confusion. She didn't remember making something like that before. Frowning, she picked up her basket and brought out the strange object to show her grandmother.

Of all the women in the village of DeerHead, her grandmother, Babcia, was the one they went to if they had problems. If you were sick, she made you a potion. If you were grieving over the loss of a loved one,  she would counsel you. Some even said that she could control the weather, but Babcia strongly denied this. She had taken Senya in when both her parents had perished and made sure she would have a good life.

Babcia was the only person Senya truly loved.

Now, Babcia stood at the table with a frown on her face. "How come you took so long? Stayed up too late again, hmm?"

Senya shook her head. "No Babcia, I went to bed early. But I had another dream, then I accidentally tripped and fell while leaving the room. I'm sorry I took so long, and I'll try not to be late again."

"No worries, no worries, child. I understand. I apologize as well. Now breakfast, yes? How long before you have to leave?" Babcia asked, setting Senya's basket on the table.

"Not long I'm afraid, but I'll have more time in the evening." Senya replied as she sat down at the table.

"Well make sure that Master Browtan doesn't overwork you now, hmm? I have a feeling it's going be a hot day."

Senya smiled. Babcia's feelings about the weather were usually right, and Master Browtan would thank her for the information. But as she started eating, Babcia froze. "Senya, what's this?" She asked, showing her the strange object. "How come you have this?"

Senya swallowed. "That's  what I tripped over. I was actually going to ask you about it. I don't remember making it. Do you know what it is?"

Babcia went so deathly pale, Senya thought she was going to faint. Then she lunged towards Senya and grabbed both her arms. "Are you cut anywhere? Did you scrape yourself? Are you hurt? Show me!"

Senya was shocked by her fear. "N-no I don't think so." She stammered. "What's wrong? Should we destroy it? Throw it in the fire?"

"No!" Babcia cried. "Nothing hot! Nothing hot! Leave it where it is! Leave it! Don't touch it!" She moaned and staggered over to the table, sitting with her head in her hands. "Not Senya, not my darling, my baby girl, please no, not her."

Senya was shocked. She had never seen Babcia so scared before, over a simple object. She started taking small steps towards the door.

Babcia suddenly looked up. "Senya, start your rounds early. We'll talk about this later."

Senya nodded slowly, sadly, and left for the village.

As soon as Senya had left, Babcia looked around to make sure there was no one nearby. Then, she whistled, a long quick note.

Right as the noise was fading, an emerald green falcon swooped in through the window and landed on the back of a chair.  The falcon turned and cocked it's head, asking a silent question.

"Hello Tinca." Babcia's voice cracked. "Alert the rest of the Council. It's true. She's returned."

So what do you think so far? Let me know in the comments! Also, let me know if I made any errors. If you want to suggest something, that's fine as well :-D