Chapter 11

There was a crash. Tinca whipped around, the glow from her eyes fading. Arin has crashed through the door and lay on the ground, panting. Tinca ran over to him and grabbed his hand.

"Arin! Arin, co się stało? Czy to ona? Czy znaleźli świątynię?

Senya was confused. Who was "her"?

"Tower ...attack" Arin wheezed. "Thundercaster tower, three down. Crey ... gone to help. Need... backup."

Tinca nodded. "I'm on my way. Go alert the others. I'll join as soon as I can."

Arin glanced at Senya; "what about-"

"She knows;" Tinca snapped "I'll deal with it. You deal with it. Now go back out."

Arin nodded, slowly and hurried off.

Senya slowly sat up, rubbing her head. "Tinca? What was-"

"Tower attack," Tinca interrupted. A satchel flew over Senya's head, the strap landing in Tinca's outstretched hand. She turned and started to load various items into it. "You heard him just as well as I did."

"But-but, who? There's no one near enough-"

"Do not tell me what I already know!" Tinca spun on Senya, anger in her eyes, that strange green glow flaring up again. "Who do you think created those towers? Who saw all the neighboring villages fall? We have done everything we can for this town and you still question us after everything we've been through, after everything I've been through-"

Tinca turned, angrily, and threw a small bottle. It smashed against the wall, releasing clouds of black smoke.

"Well?" Tinca demanded.

The smoke solidified, and Faern stepped out. Senya gasped. His eyes were glowing a bright silver, much like Tinca's. Only this time, he moved as if he could see. Then Senya realized he could see. She sank back onto the cot, frightened, wishing to disappear.

"Oh no," Tinca whispered, grabbing Faern's hand. "Faern? It's that bad? Who are they?"

Faern looked down at the floor. "Tinca; latają jego flagą"

They fly his flag. Senya shivered

"No," Tinca whispered. She sank down to the floor, starting to cry. "No, no, no, no, spirits..."

Faern knelt down, and gently wiped her tears away. "Don't cry Tinca. Don't give them your pain, your fear. For that is what makes you strong. Don't give them more than what they already have. "

"You're right," Tinca rubbed her eyes with one of her hands. "Oh Faern, I'm so sorry. What we did-"

"Don't be." Faern stood, pulling Tinca up with him. "Please. We have to go. If the Thundercaster tower falls ...and she's weak enough already ..."

"I know." Tinca wrung her hands, looking around the room "It's just-," she frowned. "Where's Senya?"

Senya gasped. Couldn't they see her? She was right here! Watching them! In plain sight!

Tinca looked around one last time, before shaking her head. "It doesn't matter. We have to keep the tower from falling."

"But what about your hood? Didn't you leave it-"

"We have extras at the towers Faern. You know this."

"But how are you-"

"You know how."

Faern stopped and spoke again. "Tinca. Are you sure? We know that-"

"I'm fine Faern." Tinca rolled her eyes. "I already turned once today and there were no setbacks. We're overreacting. Now take this," she said, handing Faern the bag. "I'll come as fast as I can"

Faern nodded, stepped back, and vanished, leaving behind wisps of silver smoke. It took everything Senya had to not shout in terror.

Tinca was pacing around the room, head in her hands. She grabbed her healer's symbol and was now rubbing it with her fingers. Senya could hear her breathing getting heavier.

Then Tinca screamed. Bent over, gripping the ground, she screamed like someone was driving a spear into her heart,

Senya couldn't help it; she screamed too.

Tinca whipped around, eyes widening, as her body jerked uncontrollably. "Senya! You shouldn't be seeing this!" She took a step forward and fell to one side. "Get out of here Senya! You have to go! I'm sorry Senya, so sorry, so-"

There was a bright flash, knocking Senya back against the wall.

And an emerald-green falcon flew out the window.

Senya leaned over the floor and threw up.