Chapter 4

By the time Senya reached Master Browtan's kiln, most of the street was deserted. Whenever the Council gathered, everyone went to the town square, to hear solutions to their problems, or even just to see a glimpse of the beloved Council. Senya snorted. People could act crazy sometimes.

She entered the kiln and set down her basket. Then she smiled. This place was like a second home to her.

Giant bowls of clay were stacked on the shelves, with more waiting by the door. From the low roof, hanging tools, and dried herbs gave the place a musty lavender smell.

And there was Master Browtan himself. When Senya was very young, he would let her play with the wet clay, and sometimes the finished wares. If she accidentally broke something, he would never get upset, but smile kindly at her and thank her for giving him an excuse to make it better.

As she grew older, he started teaching her how to use the potter's wheel. After her creations were deemed strong enough, he taught her how to use the actual kiln to make the shapes permanent. And just last year, she became his apprentice to fully learn how to be a potter.

Besides Babcia, he was her only true friend.

He wasn't here at the moment, but there was a note on the low table by the window. Senya picked it up to read it.

Dear Senya,

I am deeply sorry to leave right before you arrived, but one of the shipments has been delayed. I am not sure why, so I have had to leave to smooth things out. The MarketPlace has been closed due to the gathering of the Council, so you may take the day off if you want to. The basket with your rounds for tomorrow morning is by the wheel

Take care,

MB

Senya sighed and put down the note. Whenever the shipments got backed up, it created a big mess even if they had enough clay. But, a day off, even a few hours off was a rare treat. 

She decided to go to the Council gathering after all.....

Sorry that this chapter was so short! I'll try to make up for it in Chapter 5. Hopefully, this is where things start to get exciting...