{doctors visits}

"he's the reason for the tear drops on my guitar, the only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star, he's the song in the car, i keep singing, don't know why i do..."

as the words 'doctors' came out of ponyboy's mouth, emily tensed up and shook her head rapidly, causing severe pain in her head

as the words 'doctors' came out of ponyboy's mouth, emily tensed up and shook her head rapidly, causing severe pain in her head. she yanked her hands out of steve and two bit's hands and had put them to her head, and yelped with out thinking, but all that came out was a sound that broke everyone's heart. she sounded like a deflated squeaky toy, which was not good. steve looked at her sympathetically and gave her a side hug and kissed her head. nobody really questioned it, as they thought he was just comforting her, because she was obviously upset. but steve internally beat himself up for doing it, but he really liked the feeling of her in his arms. "emily can you point to what hurts?" darry asked her. she rose up from steve's grip and pointed to her throat, her head, her stomach, and ribs. "where on your head hurts?' dallas asked as he furrowed his eye brows together and put his hands on his hips. emily shifted her body and winced as she did so, she pointed to the back of her head. "okay let's lift up her hair and see if we find anything." dallas said again. johnny was the one to lift up her hair, because he was the most gentle and sure enough, she had a big purple bruise on the back of her head. "how did that happen, do you know?" soda asked worriedly. emily sat there for a minute, thinking of ways to say who did it and how. then it came to her, she pointed at dally and then grabbed steve by the shirt collar, and pretended to slam him into something. "what?" dallas asked confused. "emily, dally didn't hurt you, he would never." steve said looking at emily as he gently grabbed her shoulders, looking her in the eyes. she rolled here eyes frustrated and waved her hands in the air, trying to say no. "guys, she was saying sylvia slammed her head into something." pony intervened, thankfully. emily looked at him and pointed her finger and tried her best to shake her head 'yes', even though she was pretty sure she could feel her brain sloshing around in there.  "okay em, what did she slam you into?" johnny asked, putting his hands in the pockets of his jean jacket. emily thought for a minute, and then pointed down to the floor. "she slammed you into the floor?" dallas asked. emily nodded the best she could and gave him a thumbs up. "okay let's get her to the hospital." two bit said, and him and darry helped her get into two bit's car, and the other guys rode with darry.

once they had arrived at the hospital, two bit walked up and checked her in at the front desk after he had sat her down in a waiting room chair. "full name?" the lady up front asked. "i'm keith daniel matthews, her older brother, and legal guardian." he said fastly. "okay, and name of patient?" the nurse asked. "emily karen matthews." two bit said. "alright, what's her age?" she asked. "sixteen years old." two bit replied frantically. "okay one last question, what's her date of birth?" the nurse asked. "may 12th, 1950." he replied once more. "okay, will she be needing a wheel chair?" the lady at the front desk asked him. he looked back at her to see dally sitting on her right side, and johnny sitting on her left, talking to them. "yeah." two bit answered, and then he turned around and stood talking to darry, steve, and soda, while pony got a snack from the vending machine. 

the lady from the front desk walked up to two bit and said "i forgot one last question, does she have any allergies?" "um, she's allergic to dust, pollen, and she is deathly allergic to ampicillin." two bit said. "okay thank you." the lady said walking away with her clip board. 

after about another two minutes of waiting, one male nurse, and one female nurse came out and called emily's name. "emily karen matthews?" the girl called out. soda started snickering when they had said her full name and she just shot her head up at him and gave him the death stare. soda and  two walked her over to the wheel chair, and the nurses helped her bend down to sit in it. "nobody can come back there while we asses her injuries." the male nurse said, and they turned around and wheeled her away. 

she had been back there about fifty minutes before anyone had come back to inform them on her condition, but before that they had all just sat around and talked. "hey soda can i talk to you?" steve asked in an odd, nervous sounding voice. "yeah sure buddy what's up?" soda asked as they stepped aside, out of ear shot from everyone else. "i think i'm feeling something for emily.." steve said looking up at soda  wincing. soda just looked at him and nodded his head. "you should tell her." soda said. "but not now, let her recover from whatever injuries she has. you know how much she loves to sing, and if she has no voice she can't do that. recovery will be the only thing on her mind, let her get better first, and then tell her." soda said. all of this made since to steve, plus it gave him good time to stall. "does she like me back?" steve asked soda. soda just looked at him and hit him in the back of the head. "what the hell was that for?!" steve asked confused. "of course she does, she always has!" soda said. steve was shocked at this, but before he could reply the doctor came out and called out "keith matthews?" and all of the boys ran up to him.

"okay, so miss matthews is on some pain medication at the moment, so you can visit her, but she will be a bit groggy. she has two cracked ribs, and a moderate, grade two concussion, she also has dysphonia. it is an injury to the voice box, which will eventually heal, there is no telling when, but it will heal. i understand she can sing, once he gets her voice back, which could be right away, she might not still be able to sing. other than those few things, she is fine." the doc said, and walked away.

all of the guys quietly walked into her hospital room, to find her in her grown, sitting on the edge of the bed, holding back her tears. she looked up at them when she heard them enter, and she sucked in a breath, she thought she could hold the tears, but she saw the boys and let a few tears slip. steve knelt down in front of her and looked at her, he wiped her tears for her. "it's going to be alright." he said to her as he held her face. it was was apparent to anyone who looked at them that they both felt something for each other. she looked into his eyes and tried to take another deep breath, but her face scrunched up and he pulled her in and she started bawling into his shoulder. except it looked even more heart breaking than it normally would've been, because she was sobbing, but no noise was escaping her mouth.