{lake day}

"he's the reason for the teardrops on my guitar, the only one who's got enough of me to break my heart, he's the song in the car, i keep singing  don't know why i do..."

it was now the weekend, and the gang had all decided that they should go to the lake

it was now the weekend, and the gang had all decided that they should go to the lake. they all got in separate trucks, because it was about a two hour drive from their homes in tulsa. darry, soda, and ponyboy, all rode in darry's truck. two bit, dallas, and johnny all rode in a car dal was borrowing from buck merrill, and steve and emily were riding in his truck. steve  had the radio on, and emily was humming along to the music, when steve had realized what she was going. "wait, babe!" he said excitedly as he turned to look at her. she stopped humming and looked at him confused. "you were humming!" he said excitedly. "steve, i've been able to hum for about five days now." she said slightly rolling her eyes, and looking out the window. "i know, but that was like consistent, like no cut outs, no nothing!" he said cheerfully, and she turned to look at him with a sad face. "doesn't mean anything, anyone can hum and sound good." she started. "what if i don't sound the same? what if it never comes back? what if-" steve cut her off by saying "but those are all 'what ifs'." "look i tried to sing about a week ago, it wasn't good." emily stated as she obviously choked back tears. and turned her focus back to looking out the window. steve noticed this, and put his hand on her thigh and reassured her that she would get her singing voice back and even if she didn't people would still love her, and he would still want to be with her. 

once they had all arrived at the lake, the guys layed out the stuff, and they all took off their shirts, and looked at emily, who was just standing there in one of steve oversized muscle tank tops. "what?" she asked them confused. "well are you gonna take that shirt off so we can throw you in or what?" steve sassed back at her playfully. "oh is that what you think your gonna do?" emily asked him as she pulled the tank top off from over her head and put her hands on her hips. she was wearing a turquoise cupped swimsuit with some black bottoms that were on the cheekier side. steve starred at her with his mouth slightly, but visibly hung open, and he eyes slightly bulging out of his head. "hey steve!" emily called out to him. "y-yes?" he asked getting out of his trance he was previously in. "you got a little drool right here." she said scratching the corner of hr mouth with her pointer finger. "oh yeah?" steve asked her. "yeah." she nodded back giggling. "i'm gonna throw you in that lake you know." he said to her. "nope" she said throwing his tank top at his face. "okay that's it, you're gonna  get it!" he yelled and he ran after her. she weaved in between dallas and two bit and hid behind them laughing, until she made the mistake of trying to hide behind soda. he grabbed onto her arms, and she let out a blood curdling scream as steve ran up to the both of them and tackled them into the lake. "you! you bastard soda!" emily gasped slapping his arm playfully as she came up from underwater.

after about two hours of swimming in the lake, they all got out and sat down in the beds of darry's and steve's trucks. "emily, i think if you could scream like that earlier, then maybe you should try singing." soda suggested to her. she didn't like the suggestion, but she was open to try it anyways. "okay, but i might not be able to.." she said looking up at everyone nervously.  "just try" johnny said. "i don't have a guitar.." emily said. "i brought it." two bit said getting the guitar out of the back of dally's car. "well you had this all planned out didn't you?" emily chuckled, putting the guitar strap around her and grasping it the right way. 

emily took at deep breath, and began strumming the guitar, and humming. "okay.." she breathed out, and she began, and her voice sounded just like it did before.

"elevator buttons and morning air, strangers silence makes me wanna take the stairs, if you were here we'd laugh about their vacant stares, but right now, my time is theirs. seems like there's always someone who disapproves, they'll judge it like they know about me and you, and the verdict comes from those with nothing else to do, the jury's out, and my choice is you. so don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine, and life makes love look hard, the stakes are high, the water's rough, but this love is ours, you never know what people have up their sleeves, ghosts from your past gonna jump out at me, lurking in the shadows with their lip gloss smiles, but i don't care, cause right now you're mine, and you say,  don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine, and life makes love look hard, the stakes are high, the water's rough, but this love is ours. and it's not theirs to speculate , if it's wrong and, your hands are tough but they are where, mine belong.  i'll fight their doubt and i'll give you faith with this song for you. cause i love the gap between your teeth, and i love the riddles that you speak, and any snide remarks from my father about your tattoos will be ignored, cause my heart is yours. so don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine, and life makes love look hard, and don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine, but they can't take what's ours, they can't take what's ours, the stakes are high, the water's rough, but this love is ours."

emily finished the song and smiled widely as the gang clapped. "i knew you could do it!!" two bit said excitedly as he slapped her hard on the back without even noticing it, causing her to lean forward and wheeze. "easy two bit." soda said grabbing her shoulders and pushing her back up. "yeah..easy" she said with a voice that sounded like she was choking. "oh my gosh!" emily said excited. "what?!" steve asked mocking her. she shot him a glare and then went back to what she was going to say. "i have to get to that lake house, and demand for my performance spot back!" emily said hopping down, off of the bed of the trucks and into steve's truck. they all headed back to tulsa happily, and tiredly, and the first thing emily did when they got home was call the lake house, and she got her old performance spot back.