Chapter 3

The carriage bounces along, tirelessly. I feel as if we aught to stop and give the horses some kind of break, but Demetrius acts as if his life depends on arriving home before sunset.

This is our 8th day of travel, I am tired to say the least. I have only seen Demetrius in passing when he sticks his head through the carriage door to make sure I have not died. The footman does the rest, I have actually grown to like him, the footman that is not Demetrius. His name is George and he is rather sweet, I think he can feel the tightness between Demetrius and I, so therefore tries to make it easier for both parties.

I am stuck in the carriage with all the luggage, as Demetrius and the watchman ride ahead on horseback. George says it is to keep an eye out for highwayman, but I know it is to avoid me.

When we stop at night it is not for long. George makes sure I am comfortable, in the carriage while Demetrius and the rest all sleep outside. I have been tempted at times to leave the carriage but I know better than that.

George stops the carriage whenever I feel the need to use the facilities, and that means the woods. Sadly.

We left the morning after our wedding, I had not wanted to leave so soon, but Demetrius was sure he needed to be back, for what reason I am unsure.

It would have been nice to spend at least a week near my family, even if my mother was not a big comfort. The newness of marriage and an entirely new country was nearly to much for me, and I found myself crying way to much for my liking.

Demetrius had left the night of the wedding, where he went was not a concern of mine. I was just happy he had chosen not to consummate the marriage that night. He said he would wait until we were settled into our new home. New home to me, childhood home to him. I know an heir is important to him and his family, but I am dreading the the thought of not only having sex with him but also having a child, nothing can prepare a 17 year old for such things.

He is a stranger. My husband yes, but still a stranger. He had spoken little to no words to me, I didn't mind, but the thought of sleeping in the same bed as him made me sick.

The carriage suddenly bounced to a stop, the suddenness of it caused me to be thrown forward, I silently cursed as I felt a knot growing on my forehead. I didn't request to stop so it must be Demetrius, he usually checks on me once a day, that's probably why the sudden stop.

I peak my head out the curtained carriage window and see nearly 10 horses all with a rider. Why so many? I wonder. Hopefully nothing bad had happened, I so want to get to solid ground and a soft bed.

I hear a loud knock on the carriage door.

"Yes?" I say, it's probably Demetrius.

"Idriana," I recognize the voice instantly it is definitely Demetrius.

"Come in," I say, as Demetrius barely waiting for my response, opens the door a crack.

"I have met with a few more men, they will guide you and the carriage to the house I have business to attend to on the other side of town. I will be at the house in about 4 days." He says, not once looking at me in the eye.

His appearance is disheveled, and he looks tired.

"Of course." I say, I am actually quite pleased that I will get to explore the house on my own without his brooding presence.

Without waiting for me to say anything further, he slams the carriage door. I glance out the window, just in time to see him and 3 men ride off.

"Mrs. Idriana," I hear George call, I have tried to make him call me Indie, but to no avail, he seems certain he must be more respectful than that.

I slowly open the carriage door and step out, I am very thankful he is allowing me to stretch my legs. I don't think I will ever be accustomed to the tight space inside the carriage.

"We will stay here as long as you wish." He says with a smile, "Master Demetrius has gone on, so we needn't worry about spending alittle extra time."

He knows how I hate to sit in the carriage. I don't want to stay here to long though, I really do want to make it to my new home, so that I may finally relax.

"Thankyou, George," I say, genuinely grateful for his kindness, "I do not wish to stay to long however, I really do want to see my new home."

"Of course, Mrs. Olanta." I flinch as he calls me by my married name, it is hard enough to be called Mrs. such a smooth reminder of my current state.

"George, please, just call me Indie," I say.

I walk hurriedly into the forest, you'd think as titled as Demetrius is we could find somewhere else to use the restroom, but apparently the towns are few and far between.

When I am finished I make my way slowly back to the carriage, I want to enjoy what little time I have to walk on solid ground.

"Ready?" George asks, as I make my way to the carriage door, the watchman and guards have already gone on ahead.

"Yes, thankyou." I say stepping into the carriage.

I lay back softly onto the seat, and close my eyes, maybe I will get some rest.

We are to arrive at the house by sunset, so it should only be a few more hours.

I am feeling both nervous and exited. I am finally to have my own home, although I wish the circumstances were different. I decide I must be happy with what I have and look to the future.

Maybe someday I can love Demetrius as a husband.