A Night's Tale- Landing Strike

Even though they landed in Berk, Strike and Dalton seemed completely calm, but Strike was more nervous than he had ever been even before his tail was broke and he had to stay here. He folded his wings as Dalton climbed off, keeping one hand on the Night Fury’s neck, guiding him and keeping an extra safe distance in case he suddenly jumped into the air without him. Strike allowed him to, and looked at him occasionally, trying to find some kind of worried expression. Dalton never showed any expression, but inside he was scared of what he’d done. Taylor and Gold did the same thing, only looked around for escape routes with careful glances to make sure they didn’t look suspicious.

They all stopped at a large building on a hill. When they walked in, Vikings were filed in, all looking at the group that had just walked in. The largest Viking stood in the front of a large round table, also looked up at the unexpected surprise. Hiccup led Toothless over and spoke a few whispered words before the two stepped closer to Strike, Dalton, Gold and Taylor.

“You two are in so much trouble.” he growled, looking at Dalton and Taylor. The girl Viking looked like she was about to snap on him before he continued. “However, you have brought the two Night Furies here. With saddles, even more so. Therefore, you will earn your reward.”

Dalton stepped up. “I want no reward but Strike himself.”

“And me, Gold.” Taylor said defiantly.

The Viking looked shocked. “These dragons will be taught the right ways of dragon training, if you wish to not keep them.”

“They’ve already been trained, trust me.” Taylor snapped.

Hiccup came up beside the Viking and said something to him that either of them could catch. The large one looked at Hiccup with a hint of surprise before nodding. “Fine. Keep the dragons. But they will not go into dragon training. But I wish to ride one.”

Strike growled, Gold looking about to fly out of there. Dalton laughed. “Good luck with that one, Stoick. They listen to only us.”

“Oh really?”

“Want to try?” he gestured to Strike with both hands, a challenging look on his face.

Stoick stepped forward to get on Strike, but the Night Fury growled more deep and loudly, even showing his teeth in defiance. The Viking continued toward the dragon until he was at his back. When he tried to get on, Strike jumped into the air without warning, knocking him over with his tail and wings. Strike landed a few feet away, angry about the building.

“Okay! Okay! I get it!” Stoick shouted. “They’ll only listen to you. But how?”

The group looked at one another and shrugged.

Suddenly, Stoick laughed. The chuckle rang throughout the building, but no other Vikings were laughing. Finally, he walked out with Hiccup and Toothless not far behind. Dalton and Strike next, Gold and Taylor after, then the rest of the Vikings last. The two Night Fury Vikings hopped on their dragons and both flew into the air, with Hiccup strangely behind them with Toothless.

Gold and Strike flew side by side, their wing tips only inches from one another while the silence that spoke through the four was deafening. Hiccup came up above them and looked down, Toothless looking at Strike’s strange artwork of blue.

Toothless flew ahead, and with the help of Hiccup with his awkward device to help him fly, dived down in front of the two, making them dive down as well, wanting some answers from the two.

Dusk was already setting in and when they landed on a cliff, it was already dark enough. Hiccup had gathered some wood and set it down for his dragon to light it for him. Strike and Gold lay by each other around the fire, while Dalton and Taylor sat by one another, holding hands, also around the fire.

Hiccup cleared his throat. “So? How’d you two get the most stubborn dragons to trust Vikings?”

“They don’t trust Vikings. They trust us.” Dalton confirmed, looking at Strike who had his eyes closed, listening to the conversation while one wing was over Gold.

“Okay. How did they come to trust you?”

Silence. Deafening silence. Nobody really knew. It just happened. Dalton and Taylor looked at one another, before simultaneously looking at their so-called sleeping dragons. Strike opened one eye, and seeing everyone looking at him, he shrugged before closing it again.

Taylor turned around and sighed, “We have no clue.”

“I healed Strike’s tail.” Dalton thought. “But Gold showed me the way to the herb.”

“You just introduced me to Gold.” Taylor confirmed, looking thoughtful. “And she just sort of trusted me, I guess.”

Dalton rolled his eyes. “You had the magic touch for her.”

She laughed. “What about you and Strike?”

He shrugged.

While listening, Strike had one eye on his father who was sleeping peacefully behind Hiccup who had his back against him. Eventually, the Night Fury opened his golden-green eyes and stared back. Nervousness broke out in his veins while he stared at him. They sent a silent message and Strike closed his eye again.

When the Vikings were done talking, they came up to their dragons and curled up beside them. Strike covered Dalton up with a wing, like he was doing with Gold and they soon fell asleep.