eleven | positive

"I didn't agree to this arrangement, Chief."

The chief of surgery, Dr. Richard Webber, sits idly in his chair behind his desk in his office. And to my knowledge, he's the only doctor who has an office.

Making him in control of everything.

"Dr. Phoenix —"

"Yes?"

A growl erupts from the back of my throat when he responds simultaneously. I angrily sit back down in the chair.

"Dr. Leven Phoenix. . ." Chief Webber clarifies. "As you know, your father is a highly esteemed surgical oncologist from the East Coast. And the hospital would benefit greatly from his hiring."

My arms cross over my chest. "Well, couldn't you have run this by me before hiring him?"

"I had mentioned to Dr. Shepherd —"

"Dr. Shepherd? Dr. Derek Shepherd?"

"Yes."

"Great." My lips tighten into a line. "The one warning I was given, and I ignored him before he could even say a word."

The older oncologist interlaces his fingers to form a ball. "Levie, Dr. Webber is an old friend of mine. He knows my illness has worsen. . .terminally."

"Do you want me to cry for you or something? Because I'm done pitying you." I refuse to look in his direction.

"I don't want you to pity me." He shakes his head.

"Good."

"Have you been receiving proper treatment for —"

"You don't need to know if I have or haven't."

"I'm old and have lived a life, darling. You have yet to —"

"Don't call me darling."

Silently, I turn to Chief Webber and cock my right brow. He shuts his eyes for a few moments, nodding in hesitation.

I grab my belongings before walking right out of the office. As soon as I'm well away, I release the breath I had been holding.

"Leven?"

Dr. Shepherd in his navy blue scrubs and tailored white coat. In his hand is a blood testing kit, and I know what's about to happen.

"Yeah, I'm coming."

I situate myself on the examination chair in the private room. The blinds are shut, and the door is closed. For some element of privacy.

"Look, I know I've been an absolute bitch this entire time."

"Oh, really? I couldn't tell."

My mouth twitches into a smile for half a second. "Leave the sarcasm to the professionals. But I know you're just trying to help, and I appreciate you conducting the blood test."

"He'll only be here for a short period of time." He carefully inserts the needle, to which I wince in light pain. "The last time I hurt someone with a needle was in my intern year."

"Well, I have a weak stomach when it comes to needles and. . .blood." I gulp as the red liquid flows through the tube.

"You're a doctor, Leven. A surgeon, for that matter."

"I'm only squeamish when it comes to my own blood."

A small chuckle leaves his lips as he stands up. Before either of us can say anything, our eyes lock just like in the O.R. weeks ago. This time, however, we are truly alone.