preface | prude

The Emerald City Bar. A little piece of heaven locked away in the heart of Seattle.

A girl in purple sits at one end of the bar, drinking shots like there's no tomorrow. And the bartender just keeps serving her.

Naturally, I sit next to her.

"One coffee. Decaf. Dash of milk, no sugar."

The bartender cracks a smile, grabbing a mug from one of the shelves underneath. "First time I'm not serving alcohol tonight. Early morning tomorrow?"

"Sure. Let's go with that." I crack open a few peanut shells from the bowl, although I don't eat a single one. "Leven." The girl in purple looks up, realizing I'm talking to her.

She takes another shot, flipping the glass upside down. "Meredith."

"Boyfriend troubles? Or a hardass boss you gotta kiss up to?"

"One night stand came back to bite me in the ass." Before the bartender can even finish pouring the next shot, she grabs it. "One night stand also happens to be my hardass, married boss."

"Ouch." My fingers drum against the wood.

"One coffee for the weird one." He serves me a piping hot mug of delicious black goodness. "Mind me asking what's got you drinking decaf coffee at two in the morning?"

I simply shrug my shoulders. "Call me a prude."