fifteen | mark

"Leven. What a surprise."

Lennox Phoenix sits up in his newly-prescribed wheelchair and adjusts the nasal cannula connected to his oxygen tank.

"Hello, Lennox." I flash a half-smile before sitting down myself. "How are you?"

"I'm doing well, thank you for asking. And you?"

"Oh, I'm alright. Good, even."

After the near-death incident at the hospital, I realized I can't go about the rest of my life treating him like a stranger. So we might as well get along with each other.

"I heard Derek visits you quite often." My fingers delicately stir the stick in my mug. "Is he fun to have around?"

"Oh, yes. He always has stories to tell." He folds a blanket over his legs. "But it's not as nice as seeing you here and actually talking to me."

I run my palms over the tops of my jeans. "Well, I can't promise I'll be here as often as I'd like. . .but I'll try my best."

"That's all I can ask for, Leven."

Morning briefing of the patients goes by quickly, and I meet up with Meredith Cristina just outside the door.

"He found out about the apartment." Cristina stuffs a third of a granola bar into her mouth. "You know, he's acting like I committed a crime. Like my apartment is full of stolen goods."

"Well, we've never come over, so —"

"My apartment isn't full of stolen goods!"

A few nurses and doctors here and there glance in our direction after her sudden outburst, but we go about our pathway.

"He's acting like I kept my apartment to hide stolen goods so I can do illegal transactions for money."

"Are you sure he's not just acting like you lied about moving in?" Meredith exclaims from pent-up frustration.

In reply, her face sours. "Okay, what's wrong with you?"

"My mommy's a filthy whore."

"No questions there."

For the first time since giving birth, Dr. Bailey is back at the hospital with her baby boy, William George Bailey-Jones.

"Invasive non-cell. With a history of C.O.P.D.."

I glance back to see a tall, young, absolutely handsome man standing behind me.

"That guy's pretty much a goner, huh?"

"Huh." My gaze rakes his figure in an obvious manner. "Lacks sensitivity, knows how to read. . .can I help you?"

He clears his throat. "Oh, I'm just visiting some. . .friends. It's only my first day, and I'm confounded by all the rain."

"Pretty different from New York, isn't it?"

"How did you —"

"People from New York hate any other place." I move to the other side of the nurses' station, only to be followed by the stranger. "Takes one to know one."

"All this rain. . .it makes me want to stay in bed alright."

"Pillow talk, already? Lacks subtlety as well." I file away the rest of the surgical cases.

"Subtlety has never been my strong suit." His elbow rests against the countertop. "So, do you ever go out with coworkers?"

"Never have and never will."