sixteen | friends

Bark! Bark, bark!

"Chill out, Scar."

The wolf-like animal glances back at me, a long tree branch sticking out from either side of his mouth. I fill some water into the portable water bottle-bowl for him to drink.

"So, what made you want to come out here with me?"

Derek tugs down on the NorthFace jacket he has on, already grown accustomed to Seattle's unpredictable weather.

"I thought it'd be nice to have some human company while I walk my dog." I admit to him, a red tinge spreading across my cheeks. "And because I have a problem."

"A problem?" Both brows lift high on his forehead. "What kind of a problem?"

"Daddy issues."

"What?"

A wry chuckle fills the silent atmosphere of the trail. "It's about Lennox. And I just don't feel like talking to my friends about it."

"Although, we are friends."

"If that's what you want, doc."

"You come to me with a problem, I will give you an answer. And vice-versa."

"Don't think your wife's gonna like that."

He throws another stick for Scar, watching as the dog runs through the forest to fetch his all-natural chew toy.

"Did you want to talk about this problem?" He suggests kindly.

"Not particularly, no." I shake my head. "Did you have any problems you want to talk about?"

"At this moment in time. . .I don't have any problems. Not a single one."

"Of course you don't, Shepherd."

He takes a swig from his plastic water bottle before offering it to me. But I lift up my own reusable water bottle in response.

"Saving lives is one thing. Saving the planet is another."

"And she's a hippie."

I scoff lightly, nudging his arm. He laughs lightly before doing the same to me. The two of us begin chuckling amongst ourselves, all the while Scar chases a squirrel.

Back at the hospital, a romantic bond has formed between George and Meredith after going out on a date the night before. Dr. Bailey is finally back, although she has her infant with her.

"What do we got?"

Ray the paramedic wheels out the patient. "Tachycardic in the 140s. Systolic is in the 60s. Last was 72 over 40."

Will's cries increase in intensity and volume from the loud sirens of the ambulance, to which Bailey tells the other paramedic to turn them off.

"Uh, Dr. Bailey? Do you want me to —"

"Take him."

"What?"

"You're going to watch him."

"Well, actually, that's not what I was going to suggest — okay."

Before I can finish my sentence, the squirming child is in my unwilling arms, and the strap to a red diaper bag is thrown over my shoulder.

Sitting in the middle of an empty gallery, I reluctantly change my very first diaper of what could lead to many more.

"Dr. Phoenix."

My head snaps back to the door, eyes wide in startle, and I see the chief.

"Dr. Webber. What — can I help you, sir?"