Chapter 4. Jimin

When Jungkook got up in the morning it was barely light and he did so quickly, ignoring the danachi as he pulled on his trousers and shirt, tightening the velcro straps around his wrists and neck to keep out the sand and the smoke that was now drifting across the desert constantly from some unknown source. The creature sat up, blinking and rubbing its face. Jungkook was all too aware of it watching him as he placed a sweatband around his forehead, though he didn't speak to it.

The alcohol and cigarettes from the night before had left him with a headache and a stale taste in his mouth but he didn't stop to even scrub his teeth before he scurried out of his room as quickly as he could. He had slept badly, unable to calm his mind and stop himself looking over at the huddled form of the danachi across the room. When he had finally drifted off, his dreams were full of the creature with Jungkook's hands all over it, inside it, and a hot shower raining down on them both.

He'd woken with his boxer shorts sticking to his crotch and a groan at the back of his throat, pleasure throbbing low in his stomach. Across the room, the danachi had shifted as Jungkook looked over at it, rolling onto its back and arching slightly. Jungkook thought he saw the creature lick its lips, but he couldn't be sure in the dim light.

Once dressed, Jungkook headed straight to the mess hall to get a breakfast of protein. Eating it slower than he might usually, especially considering the fact that it was too early for most of the company to be up yet he tried to ignore the memory of the night before and the danachi's slick fingers hovered before his eyes and settled low in his stomach. When he was finished, he grabbed a second helping, knowing the danachi would probably refuse to eat it again.

When he returned to his cabin, he found the creature sitting up, having apparently cleaned up in his absence. It was wearing a new top, one of Jungkook's oversized shirts and its hair was brushed back from its face. Its eyes stood out sharply from its face, the corners smudged out in black that reminded Jungkook of the makeup boys and girls in the cities would wear when he was younger. It covered the way the markings at each corner of his eyes speared out into a faded line across his lashes, joining them into a smokey fade. All in all it rather exaggerated the strangeness of his eyes, drawing attention to them further but even so, Jungkook had the strange thought that the creature actually looked... pretty.

It looked up when Jungkook entered.

"Breakfast," Jungkook said, putting the plate and spoon on the floor before it.

To his surprise, the danachi immediately took hold of both and hunching over the plate, started to eat the grey, unappealing meal.

"I thought you didn't eat human food," Jungkook said, cocking his head to one side.

The danachi shrugged, swallowing. "Of course," it said, pausing for a moment. "I can't starve, can I?"

Jungkook was bewildered. He shook his head, stepping back to sit on the side of his bed, forearms on his knees, as he watched the creature swallow mouthful after mouthful of food.

"But... the other night," he said, hesitantly. He twisted his hands between his legs. "You said-you said you don't eat that stuff. That you only need-you know."

The danachi was already scraping the fork across his plate, getting the last of the mix. It dropped the container on the ground and licked his fingers. "Yeah that's true too. I need both." It smiled widely and Jungkook was a little disconcerted. This thing seemed entirely too human for his liking, not at all like the alien thing that had writhed around on the floor, jerking itself off. Not like the sleek, moaning creature that had had two fingers deep inside itself when it was supposed to be showering.

Jungkook shook.

The danachi sat up straighter. "Is there more?" it asked.

Jungkook frowned. "No," he said. "Not really. We don't really have many supplies. Food is rationed."