Chapter 33

Ashfield turned and waited for Louisa before they headed down together. When her arm brushed against him, his heart sped up its already increased pace.

He glanced at her out of the corner of his eye, then focused on the low-lit area ahead. Silence reigned as they quietly walked across the vast expanse of the barn through the main door, out to his waiting buggy.

The rain was starting up again, and the sharp pat-pat of the drops hitting the roof of the lean-to filled his ears. His mind raced. What could he say to draw out the moment a little longer?

Should he mention the color of her hair? Or how beautiful the sky looked? Perhaps he should ask if she enjoyed the rain or enquire as to what her favorite color was?

Praying inspiration would strike and settle his agitated nerves, he tucked his bag under the seat of his buggy and turned. Louisa wrung her hands, standing close enough all he had to do was reach out to touch her.

She stared at him. How had she been so blind? The day of the fire, his presence had brought such a sense of comfort and calmness to her heart; why hadn't she realized it then?

And when he laughed, it made her want to join in and shout for joy; but more than that, his handsome smile warmed her from her heart down to her toes.

Clearing her throat, Louisa offered a nervous smile. "Thank you...for coming so quickly this evening. I truly appreciate all you've done for us these past few months."

She cringed the moment the words left her mouth. Why did she have to sound so stupid and impersonal?

Without thinking, Ashfield covered her hands, wanting to calm her agitated movements. His heart skipped a beat and lodged in his throat. He swallowed and shrugged, "I'm a doctor; it's what I do, Mrs. Griggs."

Louisa stared at him, basking in the warmth of his touch. "How many times must I insist you call me Louisa?"

"At least once more," He murmured.

A flicker of emotion that mirrored the joy and desire in her own heart shined brightly within his eyes while he studied her. It was as though he could see straight to her soul.

Unable to look away, she whispered, "Please...call me Louisa."

He gave a slight nod and more fully encompassed her hand with his, "Louisa."

Her name upon his lips sent delicious shivers racing across her skin. She wanted to bathe in the sensations. Blinking, she tore her gaze away and allowed her eyes to roam over the moonlit features of his face, enjoying what she saw. Her heart picked up it's mad pounding as she whispered. "You're a good man, Ashfield."

It was peculiar - the sudden need that arose within him to hear his name fall from her lips. He didn't want her to call him Ashfield like everyone else did. Never in his life, not even when his fiancé Enid was alive, had he wanted to hear his name from someone as much as he needed to hear Louisa say it.

Almost without realizing it, he murmured, "Lawrence—call me Lawrence."

She couldn't look away as she breathed, "Lawrence." Unable to ignore her feelings any longer, she pressed a kiss to his whiskered cheek.

He stiffened immediately from the touch of her lips.

Humiliation stained her cheeks. She jumped back and covered her mouth with her hand, avoiding looking at Ashfield as she stammered, "I-I'm so sorry. I don't know—I—what was I thinking? I-"

Ashfield smiled and took her hand more firmly within his, pulling her close once again. He placed a gentle finger to her lips to still her anxious words and stared into her eyes. "Louisa," he swallowed nervously then whispered with a sense of reverence, "may I kiss you?"