Continuity: Are You a Boy or a Girl??

Unlike what the Anime stopped doing a long while ago, I plan to speak of my Pokémon with the proper pronouns that they deserve. Whether they're male or female or even genderless, they're all -something-. I hated when I noticed (don't even know what season it was) that they had stopped calling Pikachu as a boy. It obvious to Anime Pokémon Expert, of course, because of his tail, but that's exactly why they should do it! Some Pokémon, like Pikachu, look different depending on what sex they are. And some are ONLY female or ONLY male. How are normal fans supposed to know if they're not told???

    In the newer Sun & Moon series we know that Sophocles' Togedemaru is a girl because he told us- which is why she likes Pikachu. But that's basically the only time (recently) that they referenced to Pokémon Genders. Each of Kari's Pokémon (and her friends/ rivals) have Pokémon with specific genders and I plan to keep it that way... But that also means I need to also keep track of it..! Sometimes, I've noticed, I'll start off with a Pokémon being "she" then several chapters later I'm calling it a "he"... Oops..! Lol I plan to go back to the very beginning to re-read everything so I can write down the genders of Kari's Pokémon to make sure continuity is correct.

Scene 26: Shine On, Mini Coordinator!

This was an important scene for me to do for Kari. Not only is it her Contest Debut, but it's the first time she tries something "new" and still does a good job. AAAaaaand, it's the first time she realizes what's really important for her and her Pokémon. For them to shine on the field and to have fun! Years later it would become their slogan. Just as May and Dawn had their own way of introducing their Pokémon before a Contest, telling them to "Take the Stage," Kari needed her own thing. And what's the most important thing when performing? To shine. And to make everyone watching fall in love with you...
Let's start with discussing Metapod's evolution. As with Arbok, we've seen in the Anime that a Pokémon's experience isn't the only thing that pushes a Pokémon to evolve. It could be a drastic situation, the bond they share with their Trainer, or maybe it's just the right time. Kari's been with Metapod for a very long time and for a Bug-Type Pokémon, it really should have evolved by now. But it hasn't. She Trains with other Pokémon, but if her heart is really into the connection she shares with them, I'm sure she can sense that it's about that time. She takes a risk by using Metapod, but in the end it pays off. The beauty of her transformation awes the judges and audience and is enough to get them to the 2nd Round.
Throughout this first Contest Kari is learning a whole lot. Not just about how one ought to conduct themselves onstage, but about the competitors as well. She watches the varying emotions backstage when the 8 Coordinators are chosen. She realizes how invigorating the rush of being on that stage is and how much she enjoys the spotlight, even if she's not that good at performing quite yet. Mr. Contesta had said it best, "... not much of a performance... felt like we were in a Gym." And that becomes Kari's weak spot. In order to excel, Kari must learn to balance between performing and batting- how to make a powerful attack more graceful..?
Although a bit rocky to begin with, through her battle with Nachi Kari and Eevee start to figure things out. They win the match and soon find themselves standing on the victory pedestal. Something small I made sure to include was the small prize for winning we see only in the games: for this one, Kari receives a basket of berries to take with them as well as her Ribbon. Nachi leaves her with one last golden nugget of advice before they part ways.

Scene 27: Tyrogue the Troublemaker

Scene 28: Some New Tricks

    This is the first time I have a Pokémon electrocuting Kari... Although silly & ridiculous, every time it would happen to Ash I would still think it strange... Shouldn't he be dead..? But that's Anime Physics for ya! Although these attacks seem powerful enough to destroy machines, cause explosions, and almost KILL an opponent, when it's just used for lighthearted comedic affect, it doesn't seem to matter all that much...