Behind-The-Artist

As apart of my "Behind-The-Writer" series where I discuss each of my Pokémon: Princess Debut! Fanfiction and the thought process behind each episodes, I wanted to follow-up with some "Behind-The-Artist" discussions, too! Because... Why not???

Now, I am in no means a trained artist! Never took a class in my life! Both my brother and sister have, tho, and sometimes I'm jealous of this... They're so good at it without trying! My dad, too, who grew up reading comics in the 80's and studied (on his own time) each of the different artists and their varying styles. My Uncle Jesse is actually retired from working in Advertising where he helped make commercials and Ads, art being a specialty of his... So why did I never take a class?

Well... I was busy pursuing the thought that I was going to be a Vet when I grew up! So much for that...! Who knew I was more an Artistic brain?? If I had I would hope my mother would have put me in dance classes, acting classes, drawing classes, singing classes... You know, the usual... Too bad I don't have a Time-Turner...! (( crying on the inside ))

All the art I do is self-taught and I'm actually really proud with it! I'm highly influenced by Anime and different Manga Illustrators. I've always loved flipping through Art Books of my favorite series and basing my different drawings off of something I saw there. I learned pretty quickly as a kid that I had a skill for copying! My Cora does, too, I realized! I can look at someone's drawing and copy it in my own fashion, no tracing paper needed. My mother often asked me to help her BoyScouts with art projects because she knew I was good at it. But keeping to my own original art style...? That's the hard part...

I'm infatuated by all sorts of art styles, I don't really know what my "personal" style is...! I'm glad to have participated in the past couple years' Inktober (sort of)! I've gotten the opportunity to just DRAW. Just for fun! Sometimes I feel nervous about posting the art on my social media, but not really anymore...

I've gotten much better, actually! And while unpacking I've found a bunch of old sketchbooks that crack me up! I've DEFINITELY grown as an artist since Middle School...! LOL I'm no professional, but it's whatever. I love seeing my artists friends post their works daily and I'm always sure to keep close watch on other profiles so I can learn...!

Slowly I'm teaching myself proper inking styles, but I want to get better! I'd love to learn how to use colored pencils in order to bring my colors to life! And when I get the money (whenever that'll be...!) for an iPad, I'd LOVE to delve into digital media! How fuuun!!

It's a lifelong journey and we're all learning along the way! I may not have my own style -yet- but I'll get there! For right now, I'm content creating my characters based solely within the Wonderful World of Pokémon! At least with them I can use reference photos of other works of art and have fun making my own versions with my own characters!! ♡♡