4: I Like Your Company Too

"You know me the best,
You know my worst ,
See me hurt,
But you don't judge.
That thing right there,
Is the scariest feeling...."

🌻🌻🌻

College had ended and I was walking towards my car. It had been two days since Nikko and I became friends. We don't spend a lot of time together but it feels good to know that I have Nikko as a friend.

My phone rang and I hurriedly reached my pocket. I knew it was Nikko. I had set a different ringtone for him so that I know when he is calling me. This was the first time he has called me.

"Hello"

"Heyy Julliaaaaan"

"Wassup"

"Nothing much. Just that you are the only friend I know who does not live in the dorms. I wanted to go to the super market today. But I don't have a car and ......"

"Okay got it. You want a ride? I'm in the parking lot. Come quick."

"Okie dokey!"

Finally I get to see him!!

But a part of me was still worried if Nikko was really not using me. He didn't call me even once yesterday and then called me today when he needed me to give him a ride.

I pushed those thoughts aside and patiently waited for Nikko. He came after a few minutes and greeted me with a "Hi."

"Hey. Let's get into the car. I have to go for boxing practice. Don't wanna be late."

"O-okay"

He hurriedly sat in the car and in this process a novel fell to the ground from his hands. We both reached out for the book at the same time and our fingers brushed against each other. An almost invisble pink blush was on his cheeks. I picked the book and handed it to him. I wonder what kind of books he reads. Is he an avid reader? I read the title 'Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe'.  Hmm must be some philosophical book.We sat in the car to go to Wallmart.

The car ride was silent except Nikko would hum a few songs as they played on the radio.

As we reached Wallmart Nikko turned to me, "Thank you so much for the ride. We should hang out more. I like your company" He said while blushing.

"No sorry, I'm busy."I replied.

What? Wait...... did those words just come out of my mouth? I said this to everyone else who asked me to hang out with them as I know they would just use me for my money. But Nikko.
I looked at his face. He looked so hurt by my words. He turned away and left after mumbling an inaudible "Bye".

I wanted to stop him. I wanted to scream and tell him that I liked his company too.
         We don't talk much but I like being around him. He makes me feel safe. I wanted to tell him how special he is. But he was already gone.

Maybe it's too late now.

~~~

That night as I lay in my bed I thought about Nikko. Of how my words hurt him. I've made a mistake.

I removed my phone and searched for the book that Nikko was reading today. The result-
Aristotle and Dante Discover The Secrets Of the Universe
By Benjamin Alire Saenz
Lgbt fiction

It's a gay book.
Is Nikko gay.?
Maybe he was reading it because he likes the book.
He must be a supporter.
Thoughts were running wild in my head.

Does Nikko like hot boys or cute boys? Is he top or bottom? ..... wait, why am I even thinking this stuff.

As hard as I tried, I couldn't stop thinking about it. Today he blushed when our hands touched each others. Does he like me like that.

Well, there is one way to find out.

🌻🌻🌻

Vote and comment if you like the chapter!!