You're not ignoring me?

= Pit's P.O.V =

I tap on the comfortingly familiar design of angel wings on my sweater as I sit down in creative writing class and watch the hours tick by. 

one, two, three- 

Marth tried to talk to me a bit in the morning, but since we have a substitute today him and Roy's other friend in this class, Robin, was real excited to join them and I cast myself to the corner so the boy with blue hair wouldn't mention anything about what I'd done yesterday. 

-four, five, six- 

I sigh and stop my tapping as I notice just how slowly the clock is moving. I don't like this.

Just because I'm used to feeling alone doesn't mean I want it anymore. I need someone to talk to, almost anyone will do. I just can't stand the quiet and for as long as I can remember it's always made my brain overflow with loud, buzzing thoughts when I haven't had something to distract me. 

So that's why I tap the shoulder of the guy seated next to me.

He's also got no friends, he hasn't talked to anyone and he's hardly moved since this morning. So I tap him. And he turns.

"H-hi." I squirm a bit nervously, hoping he won't know who I am. "The name's Pit!" My smile grows more confident as I continue, but he doesn't say anything back. He doesn't speak. 

-seven, eight, nine- I begin to count to myself again until I feel the sensation of hands on mine.

He's signing.

"Oh, you don't speak?" I questioned with genuine interest. I think he'd tried to ask if I know what he was asking in sign language, but I couldn't get it all. Truthfully I knew very little, I only really learned my alphabet in sign language during the second semester of first year until.. everything that happened.. 'happened'. "I'm sorry, I only know the alphabet really. I can't understand you." I let him know. I thought he'd ignore me after that.. but he doesn't.

His ruff and callused hands wrap around mine and he guides my hands through the motions as he helps me sign four letters, 'L', 'I', 'N', 'K'.

Link, the word is Link. He signs my name after letting go of my hands. Pit, he signs the three letters. He points to me. He signs Link one last time before pointing to himself like he did for me, and that's when it hits me.

Link. "Your name is.. Link?" Link smiles at me with a nod and I smile in return as Link pulls out a notebook. It's really cool, I notice, a nice forest green color with three yellow triangles designed on the cover. My eyes light up with joy at the sight of his light green ink pen. Then my smile falls. Link turns the pages to me but I can't see exactly what it says. 

= Link's P.O.V =

I turn the page over so Pit can see, but instead of the happy sparkling in his eyes I notice a moment before I see a frown make it's way onto his face. 'What's wrong?' I try to sign despite knowing he probably won't understand me.

But just before I could grow anymore confused Pit pulls out a small case of two circles out of the black leather bag he carries beside him. "I, um.. I haven't put in my contacts yet today.." He grows embarrassed. And as Pit's face grows a bit red I look at him confused and he stands. "I'll be right back!" He announces to me before walking over and telling the substitute he has to use the restroom. 

As I watch Pit leave I can't help but think how strange he really seems compared to all the rumors that float around him. I mean, so far, the so called 'strange' I've seen from him is actually pretty endearing. But ever since last year when I joined the football team all I've ever heard about the guy is that he's 'manipulative' or 'desperate for attention'. It makes me feel terrible that the guys on the team all think that of him cause he's gay. But I mean.. I haven't said anything about it, I mean I haven't said anything in over ten years now..

Anyway, before Pit began to talk to me I was watching the clock at the front of the room. It's been ticking so slow, all morning! I go back to watching it as I wait for Pit to return. 

..

But now it's been a while, almost over six minutes according to the clock. And I think to myself, where has Pit been? As I read over the lime green writing I've been trying really hard not to smudge into my paper as I re-read it over and over again. 'Thank you, for not ignoring me too.' It reads, but now that I think about it that does seem like it could come across as mean.

Nine more minutes. 

I hope I haven't scared Pit off. All I can think is how terrible I must seem and I hope that when he returns Pit doesn't ignore me like most do when they get fed up with how I don't speak..