twenty five | everything

"Sunscreen, your insect repellent — you're going to need a shovel to bury your poop."

I walk through the front foyer of Meredith's house, removing the earbuds and letting them hang from my shoulders.

"Izzie, quit babying him."

"Morning, Leven."

Looking behind me, I see Derek, Dr. Burke, Chief Webber. . .and my father. A smile grows on my face the moment I notice them.

"Are the men having a camping trip?" I press my cheek against my father's for a second. "Medullica. No, no, wait, Med Zeppelin."

Meredith grabs my arm from the side and pulls me to her. "She had two protein shakes, and it's only. . .seven in the morning." She heaves a sigh of exhaustion.

"N'syncope." A light giggle leaves my lips. "I got it! The Flu Fighters."

Chief Webber grins slightly. "That's actually a good one." The three other men nod in agreement.

Izzie, George, and Meredith walk out to see them off while the chief, my father, and Burke follow them out. This leaves me alone with Derek.

"The Flu Fighters, huh?" A taunting snicker slips on purpose. "How long have you been waiting to use that?"

I grin happily. "Ever since you told me you were taking a trip with the guys. I'm quite proud of the names."

Meredith, Cristina, Izzie, and I stand in front of the O.R. board while relishing in the absence of the male doctors.

"George is camping." Meredith gently swings side to side. "Taking time, getting space."

"Prestons do not go into the woods. A guy named Preston is going to get his ass kicked by a squirrel." Cristina scoffs with a murmur.

Izzie lets out a girlish giggle. "It's basically a slumber party. The only difference is we do it inside, they do it outside."

"You think Chief Webber can fire me if my dad starts telling stories from my childhood?"

"No. He had an affair with my mom, and I'm still here."

Mark Sloan, Seattle Grace's newly hired plastics surgeon and Derek's ex-best friend, introduces himself to the group before picking one of us to join him for the day.

Surprise, surprise, Bailey arrives at the same time to assign tasks: Stephens with her peer counselor, Cristina in pediatrics, Meredith in the pit, and me with Sloan.

"So, you and Derek. . .are you guys together?"

"None of your business."

We walk into the patient room to see two women unpacking their suitcases. Dr. Sloan greets them with a look of familiarity.

"Donna Gibson, 34 years old, here for. . .sexual reassignment surgery." I shake her and her wife's hand. "Nice to meet you both."

"You know the steps for vaginoplasty?"

"No, but I'm planning on reading before the surgery."

"Well, if you want to get in on this surgery today, you better memorize it."

"And I will."

Donna speaks up with an encouraging grin. "Don't pay any attention to him. You're doing very well."

"Better than I did when I first found out." Vicky adds in continuation.

"We just need to run a few pre-op labs to make sure everything's in working order."