01| chapter one

The night was soothing. For Azra Malik, today felt something different and serene. The Mumbai night amused every night just like today. Today felt tiring as she was busy making presentations, giving presentations, sleep deprivation and a day without lunch, but with seven mugs of coffee.

Azra slowly massaged her temple, as the informative sky filled with stars and moon sank in her brain. Every day went bizarre; as she went to her office in the morning, working, drinking coffee and coming home by late evening. She never took an effort to actually adore the night sky while travelling to her home.

Home. While for the name case, the concrete house with four walls was named home. It didn't carry the emotions and feelings which should satisfy the term home. It never did and nor did Azra did care. All she cared about was her phone; to make calls and her laptop; to make presentations and – nothing else mattered. Nothing did.

When Azra finally reached her home, eh, sorry, house, she climbed the stairs to reach her apartment. She preferred stairs as her flat was on second floor and it was like a quick exercise.

While jumbling with her house keys in her shoulder bag, she tripped on a box like thing and was about to fall, only be saved by the door handle. Cursing herself for like the umpteenth time, she fell on her knees to collect the things fell on the ground from her bag.

That's when she observed the FedEx box laying near the house door. Blinking her eyes for a time, she picked up the box, unlocked the door and put the box on the dining table.

With a heavy sigh, she ripped the box open to find an ultimate thing; she thought she never could –Wedding invitation.

Azra gasped and with trembling fingers, she picked up a note stick to that basket.

Uh, Azra,

I know you think, this feels so odd, like I'm sending you MY wedding invite like what, after ten years? Hell yeah! I hope you remembered I always told you that, I'll be the one getting married, before you all? And I kept my promise. If you still feel weird; don't bother to come to my wedding.

Ps; PLEASE, COME! I miss you a lot, Azra. And I hope you NOT get paranoid if I tell you that there will be our old friends; Meera, Aksa and other few people.

With love,

ZEENA DULQUER,

Your main bitch in high school.

Azra let out a laugh. With that note, Zeena had attached the address. And Azra didn't bother to take a look at her wedding card. It would the same bullshit; we invite you to the wedding, blah, blah, blah.

Azra's fingers grasped the paper in between fingers and licked her lips. The wedding will be in Kolkata and there are only three days left. Zeena even mentioned her phone number. Azra locked the door and went for taking shower to clear the things off her mind. After her shower, Azra clutched her phone tightly and with a heavy heart, she typed Zeena's number.

I love it when you call me senorita,

I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya,

But every touch was ooh-la-la

The caller tune played and Azra just shook her head. Zeena still loved these types of double meaning songs.

"Who the hell are you, calling me, like, now?"

Azra froze for a minute. It was, like, seven years since she heard her best friend's voice. It's been seven years since she heard her gaalis.

"Uh, Zeena, it's me; Azra."

The line went silent for a moment. None spoke. The silence felt like a sin.

"Azra, is this really you? My ears aren't making up right?"

Azra let out a nervous chuckle, before tucking her hair strand behind her ear. "Yes, of course, Zeena. It's me, Azra. How are you?"

Zeena sighed from the other side of the phone; her henna hands wiping the tears off her face. "I-I'm good, Azra. How are you? Like, really how are you? I'm good. I'm getting married, GURL!"

Azra smiled, "You sure kept your promise, Zee."

Zeena sadly smiled at her phone. "Yeah, I did. I missed you, Azy. I really did – everyone did."

Azra's breath hitched. "I missed you too, Zee. So, tell me how's going on?"

Zeena's frown replaced an over enthusiastic grin. "It's perfect, Azy. The mehandi and haldi ceremony were held at his place—with family. Just family. The sangeet and wedding will be grandly celebrated in Kolkata, Azy. If you can't find the address, I'll send you my driver and he'll take you the hotel. Or wait, I'll come and pick you up! Yes, that'd be great."

Azra smiled and nodded her head, even though she knew Zeena couldn't see her. "That'll be great, Zee. I'll be there, day after tomorrow."

Zeena whined. "That's not fair, you promised me many things; like, you told me you'd be there from start, Azy."

I promised you many things, Zee. I broke them all. And that's how life works. Azra chuckled at the thought.

"I'm sorry, Zee. Day after tomorrow is Friday, which means, I'll have an holiday on Saturday and Sunday. I'll ask my boss to give me an off for like five day extra?"

"Okay, Zee."

"And by the way, who's the groom?" Azra asked, sipping the cold water.

Zeena sighed. "I know you didn't see the wedding card and don't you dare! I'll tell you once you reach here. He and I will come and pick you up, okay?"

Azra pouted. "Urghh fine Zee, Promise?"

Zeena smiled, hoping for the best. "I promise, Azy."

*

author's note: 

here's the chapter one! hope you like this one! if you did, vote, comment and share! x