03 | chapter three

03| CHAPTER THREE

-

There stood my other two friends. Aksa and Meera; who were my best friends back in the school. We were inseparable and I couldn't have imagined my life without. What happened all of a sudden?

"What the hell, Zee?" Meera yelled out, wiping the sweat beads off her forehead. She didn't even glance at me once and I understand. I'm so sorry, Meera. I'm really sorry.

"Look who's finally here!" Zeena told enthusiastically and all I could do was a small smile. Both Meera and Aksa knew how pathetic I'm when it comes to reunions and shit. They scoffed and glared at me.

"We don't care, Zeena. We don't know who she's, alright? Can you please play the music? Thank you." Aksa told while Meera nodded her head. Ah, I expected – but not this. This hurts, honestly—they are my friends, I thought both of them would understand me—like Zeena, but no.

"Quit your tantrums, Aksa. She finally came right?" Zeena fought back.

"What? Like after seven years? Who you kidding, Zeena? Don't you know what we did to search for the royal highness? I pity her, Zeena. She doesn't even have gratitude for things we did to her. How shameful it is for coming to your—"

"Shut up, Meera! Shut the fuck up! You don't even know the half of the story, Meera. You cannot judge me—because you're equally fucked up as me! I know I did mistakes. I made blunders. I agree, but you are my friends aren't you? You couldn't stop me from going away, huh? Stop telling the world that I'm the villain—when in reality you—Meera and Aksa made me the villain! I don't care whatever you think. Yes, I'm shameless for coming to my ex's wedding who's marrying my best friend—I don't care, Meera. All I care is Zeena's happiness—unlike you both, who are jealous! Fuck you both, I'm staying here. Shameless or not."

"Go ahead, Azra. Do whatever you like; you'll never change will you?" Aksa spat hatefully and I stood there; gazing coldly at her.

"You changed, right." I spoke and left the room immediately. Tears rushed to my cheeks and I couldn't control myself. I barged into someone's room and started crying on the ground. I can't take it anymore. I can't take the hate anymore—that to from my friends—my close friends. Is this why I've come here?

"You good there, buddy?" Familiar voice echoed in the empty room and I turned behind to look at the owner; familiar face, familiar voice and familiar concern.

"What are you doing here, Chauhan?" I asked. Derek Chauhan—my long time crush and a good friend back in the high school. I can't believe he's here. He looked at me with curious eyes and I gave him a smile.

"Zeena's side, though. My, my, look at you—how beautiful you look," he paused and pushed my hair stand behind my ear, "Can't believe I see you here. Most of the people were expecting you wouldn't be here. I mean, no offence, but really."

I chuckled. "I still can't believe I'm here Derek, it all seems to be a dream, you know. I should've expected hate coming here," frowning slightly I continued, "But like our history sir use to tell, I've high expectations."

He smirked. "There's nothing wrong in having expectations, Azra. Just you do a mistake to put your expectations in wrong person. That's it, bud."

I gave him a small smile. "Thank you." He just shrugged and put his fingers in the pocket and looks at the ground awkwardly. Look, here's where the awkwardness continues—he knew I had a crush on him, alright? And now, after these years of pretending that I'm over him, I still couldn't help but jiggle and my knees go weak whenever he smile or his dimple shows up. I just can't help. I can't.

"So... do you have any plans in the evening?" He casually asks and I shrug.

"I don't know, Derek. I'm a complete mess, now. I just need some to rest and have time to myself. I'm tired," I told, sitting on the bed. "I don't even have a clue whose room is this."

He chuckled once again. "It's mine. You take this—I'll take yours. I know where it is and you won't be happy to know beside whose room it is."

"I don't think it's that bad. By the way, beside whose room it is though?" I asked, yawning.

"Uh...Arjun's." He told awkwardly scratching back of his head.

"Astagfirullah, I'm so done with my fucking life." I told, dropping my head in between my hands and mentally curse myself for coming here.

"Hey, look at me—" Derek's voice made me look at him, "It's fine, okay? We lose our shit all the time. It doesn't mean we're fucked. It hurts like bitch, but trust me its okay. It's not your fault nor Aksa's or Meera's. They missed you, Azra. I had seen them—crying—for you. It's not your fault that you left—you have reasons. It's not their fault—they are hurt, Azra. Understand they're humans. It'll take time, but everything will be alright in the end. I promise."

"Okay."

That's all I said before Derek waving me goodbye and leaving the room with his baggage. I closed the door behind and plopped down the bed. I'm tired—tired of these people. I shouldn't have come here, it was a mistake.

***

Later that evening, I got ready. Derek and I were visiting our old school. Gone the old school with creaking doors and muddy building located in the dirty lane; replacing newly re-constructed high school with glass windows and giant doors.

"Wow, can't believe the school's changed, Derek. I still remember how our white shows use to get muddy whenever we use to walk over a mile in the ground. Look at the school now. Wow, I mean," I ranted about our school. It was so different now and I feel so old and nostalgic.

"You know, Azra, I, Aditya and Durjoy use to laugh at four of you for stuffing yourself with bhel and roshgullas. You girls were in the every corner of Kolkata. Whenever we use to go by Howrah, we use to find you four singing songs by the Ghaat. How I wish we were in ninth and tenth grade, Azra. It used to be more fun in the time of Durga Pujo. When you and Aksa use to come to the Pujo in Durjoy's building for navratri. I miss those days, yaar."

I just looked at him as we settled by the Ghaat. We chatted about those old days and it felt emotional as the cool breeze fawned over our faces and I felt empty from the inside. I, Zeena, Aksa and Meera use to come on every weekend—get fish from the market and then just drive to our houses in the activa scooty without getting caught by the police.

"Thank you for getting me here, Derek. It means a lot."

"Pleasure is all mine Azra. You just made me nostalgic of our old days."

***

author's note:

hey y'all. how you doin'? 

lol, i'm sorry for the late update -- i had my exams so i couldn't write sooner. thank you for constant support. today marks the three years of my journey in wattpad and i couldn't be more happier that i've improved a lot. A LOT. i love my readers + my followers. thank you so much, fam. all the love and hugs to you. :) 

kalachashmas.