Chapter 2 ↬ Leaving home

'Fine.. If he wants me gone, then so be it.'

You decided to get a change of clothes, so you walked over to your closet and opened it up. You searched through your closet and began pulling out certain clothes. You grabbed a black hoodie, a white tank top, and a pair of jeans. You slipped off your school clothes and put on the tank top, pulled your jeans up your legs and then slipped on your hoodie. Then you got on your knees and pushed away the clustered mess at the bottom of your closet to find the jar filled with money. You open it up, grabbing the money, and stacked it neatly together and folded it, then stuck it in your pocket. You put the jar back and shut your closet. You quietly but quickly made your way to the front door. You slipped on your sneakers and stood up, staring at the door. You grabbed the door knob and turned it, slowly opening the door without making a sound. Once you opened the door, you were greeted with a cold breeze and saw the snow slowly fall to the ground. You hesitated to step out. You looked back and looked around at the home you were about to leave. You sighed, trying to take in as much confidence that you could and eventually, you turned facing the outside and stepped out of the house, slowly shutting the door behind you.

You walked away from the house that you once stayed in and didn't look back. You walked on the sidewalk that lead into town and only stared down at the pavement, pulling the hood on your hoodie over your head. As you walked, your heart pounded as your mind was scattered with thoughts of what could happen to you in the next few days. Everything that came to mind was horrible and it almost made you regret leaving your home. But then your mind drifted back to what your dad was saying about you not being able to survive on your own. You walked your way deeper into town, only thinking to yourself with your head held low and tears beginning to stream down your face.

You walked past many people as you were deep in your thoughts as well as letting your tears flow, thinking about what was gonna happen to you. The possibility of being homeless and freezing to death in an alley way seemed the most realistic to you since you have no where else to go. Suddenly, you bumped into someone and they cause you to fall back on your behind and you slightly cringe in pain.

"Oh god, I'm so sorry." The person apologized.

The voice was deep but soft, obviously a man. But you didn't bother to look up, you just sat there sniffing and crying, accepting the fact you were going to be homeless and going to die in the cold. Then you noticed a hand reaching out to you, you looked up and saw the stranger was offering to help you up. You wiped your cheek with your sleeve while shakily reaching out your other hand to him and gently grasped it. He pulled you up to your feet and you wiped away the constant flow of tears from your cheeks.

"I'm Mark," the stranger said to you in a friendly tone.

You pulled your hands away to look up at him. It was kinda difficult to see his appearance because of the tears swelling up in your eyes so you blinked them away, making it look like you were still crying. Once you were able to see clearly, you saw that he had jet black hair, dark brown eyes with glasses, a bit of facial hair and a goofy smile. But once he saw your tears, his smile faded into a frown and his eyebrows upturned.

"What's wrong?" He asked with worry in his voice.

You stared at him, trying to come up with an excuse but only stuttered, "Uh.. um.. I-I.." the thought of your father hitting you and pushing you around came across your mind and it caused you to choke up. You tried to force out words but soon your eyes were filled with tears again, your body trembled and you began to sob as the tears ran down your cheeks. "Hey, hey, hey. It's ok, you wanna coffee? You look so cold." He said, trying to calm you down with a soothing voice.

He slowly lead you into the café you stood in front of and once you walked in, you were greeted with a warm welcome as well as a delicious scent. He walked you over to a table next to the window and you sat down, sobbing softly. He spoke to you with a soft voice and said, "Hey, shh.. It's ok." You looked up into his deep, brown eyes and calmed yourself, wiping away your tears. You stopped sobbing and sniffed as he asked you, "What would you like?"