five

Seraphina POV
Wellston High School

I've been working with this cripple for a week now, and he's actually really... stupid.

We're at his house going over the presentation.

"How'd you even get into this school? You're a cripple, you're stupid, and seeing your house, you're obviously not rich." I tell John.

"It doesn't matter," he brushes off my question, making me even more curious. "Let's review our parts now. After all, we have to work together if we want a good grade."

"True. We better not get another A-. That's the worst grade I've ever gotten." I shake just thinking of that marking.

"Oh my god, you're unbelievable." My partner rolls his eyes.

As we work, I notice a few strange things about this boy.

One, even though I'm Ace and everybody fears me, he talks to me and treats me like a normal person. It's refreshing, sure. But it does feel strange.

Two, whenever I attempt to make small talk while we take a break, he never lets me get information about himself. If I asked, "So when's your birthday?", he'd reply with something along the lines of, "Oh it already passed a while ago. When's your birthday?". Why doesn't he want me knowing anything about him?

Three, he has so many scars on his arms. Whenever I look at them I feel weak and queasy. What are they? They are scattered in rows, slowly heading up his arm. They aren't normal scars from knives, either. I've had my fair share of those, and they are much lighter than his. John's scars are midnight black. How?

"So what are your scars from?" I ask him, half expecting him to change the subject.

"I don't know." He looks a bit worried.

Huh... strange.

John's POV

I don't need another person looking at my scars... Doc saw them earlier and looked a bit worried. Why?

I just have so many questions, and it seems to me like nobody can answer them.

"My mom used to have a few blue scars." Seraphina says.

"And?"

"After a couple of weeks, the scars covered her whole body and made her go crazy. Her ability went berserk as well. She was like a different person." Sera explains.

"Gee, thanks for helping me feel better." I sarcastically comment.

I hear the front door open.

"John we're home!" Sabrina calls out.

"We didn't go to the mall yet, want to come?" Nolan adds.

"Ah! I'm working with Seraphina for a school project." I yell to them.

"Hi." Sera calls out.

"C'mon." I quietly tell Sera. I grab her arm and guide her to the front door.

Although I don't pay attention to her much, I swear I saw a tint of blush on her face when I touched her.

"Oh, you're the Ace right?" Sabrina questions.

"Yes. I know John's a weakling, but what's your ability?" Seraphina comments, acting as if I'm not there.

"Oh, I'm a 6.5 God-Tier. My ability is Spell Access, so I can basically use black magic." She smiles.

There's a brief moment of silence.

"What about you?" Sera looks at Nolan.

"6.9. Imagine."

"That's really strong." Seraphina looks impressed.

"I guess..." he murmurs.

More silence.

"Whelp, want to go to the New Bostin mall?" Sabrina suggests.

"New Bostin? Why would we go there?" Seraphina queeries.

"No." I sternly say.

"Sorry!" my sister looks very uncomfortable.

The air around us is tense.

"Wait, I have two questions," Sera begins "rumor has it you guys are all triplets, right?"

"Yep, that's true." Sabrina confirms.

"Then how are you two God Tiers, but your brother is a cripple?"

"Uh..." I say. "OH ME OH MY, LOOK AT THE TIME! ITS FOUR PM! I HAVE A DENTIST APPOINTMENT IN FIVE MINUTES, RIGHT MY DEAR SIBLINGS?"

"dude what the fuq..." Nolan face palms himself.

"GO AWAY SERA, THIS IS A PRIVATE DENTIST'S APPOINTMENT." I shoo the Ace out of my house. "SEE YOU AT THE BUILDING OF EDUCATION IN THE NEXT SUNLIGHT PERIOD."

"Wham!" The door slams.

"Ooh, smooth operator on the line~" Sabrina jokes.

"Shut up." I activate my ability in a spike of anger.

My sister gives me the same look my father gave me when he thought I was about to kill him.

Something in my head seems to trigger.

"Gah!" I drop to my knees and grab my hair.

Everything flashes in and out of the color red.

Red.

Normal.

Red.

Normal.

I can't pay attention... what's happening?

What triggered this?

Instead of red, this time I see black.

Then I feel my mind start to drift...

Darkness.

Date of Publication: 08/04/19
Word Count: 775