5: Halloween Bash

Kayla's curled hair was tied up with a maroon scrunchy as she looked at her outfit in the mirror placed right up against the wall, tucked down the side of her mattress. A tight, black dress tugged at her curves and ruffles lay on her stomach. Her makeup was natural but a party shade laced in with it. Kayla smiled as she twirled and sprayed perfume.

Mortica didn't know of this party, so Kayla tried to be as quiet know as she could in heels as she crept down the hall. The floorboards beneath her wailed, alerting Mortica as she started up the stairs. Kayla half-sprinted-half-shuffled down the corridor and bumped into Jin. Kayla didn't know whether to sigh in relief or anger. Jin took in Kayla's appearance and opened his mouth to say something. Nothing came out.

"Jin, listen, I know that we don't—" Kayla started but Jin was nodding. He stepped aside as he looked above her head.

"My window, it's open. Go," he nodded to her as he walked around her and walked straight into Mortica.

"Jin! Jesus, it's just you,"

"Yeah, it is."

Kayla dropped down from the window and slid down the porch tiling and caught ahold of the side as her body swung in the air. She kicked her heels off and swung far enough to land on the porch.

Kayla took off down the path and came face to face with Steve. "Hey, were you waiting for me?" Kayla asked, folding her arms.

Steve looked at the girl beside him and nodded. "Well, um, yeah. We saw what happened at lunch and thought it was a really shitty thing Hargrove did. I heard you invited Emory?" Steve ran a hand through his hair as the girl clung to his arm.

Kayla looked at her and smiled and then looked up at Steve. He looked between both of them and then nodded. "Oh, yeah, right, this is Nancy. Nancy, this is Kayla."

The two of them looked at each other and smiled. Nancy's brown hair floated in the gust of wind that howled around the trio. "So, are we going or are there more?" Nancy remarked sarcastically.

"Right, uh, yeah come on," Steve started walking down the road, the two girls following him in excitement.

Students flooded the front yard like a wave as they surrounded the keg. Steve steered the girls around dancing teens and into the main house. The house was fairly big, but with the number of teens in the house, it looked tiny. Kayla took a few deep breaths, being unable to breathe as she pulled away from Steve. He stopped in his tracks and looked back at the girl.

"Kayla? You okay?" He asked, stopping Nancy from walking off.

"Yeah, it's just a bit too crowded in here, I can't really breathe, can I just stand outside for a bit?" Kayla asked causing Steve to look behind him and scan for the disappeared Nancy.

"Um, yeah, just come and find me when you need something, okay?" Steve nodded, not waiting for an answer and running off after Nancy.

"Okay," Kayla muttered to herself over the roaring music. She began to push her way outside the house.

The wave of teens still remained as Kayla exited the building. She looked around for anybody else she knew. There was, of course, nobody. Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics began to flow out of the house as students began to dance wildly. People began to knock against Kayla as her throat grew tight again, making it difficult for her to breathe. Kayla began to gasp for air as she pushed people out of the way.

Screaming whirled around her mind as she failed to process what was happening around her. Tears began to well up in her eyes as she began to sob, unable to feel oxygen in her lungs.