Chapter 7

Art by pattonpattoff on Tumblr

Virgil POV

I wake up in my bed. For once, it seems that I've slept ok. I actually feel kinda rest. I guess after the emotional wreck I was yesterday, I must've been too tired for my mind to be able to disturb my sleep. I look around me, still a little bit dizzy from waking up. My stomach was screaming famish so I decided to get up to go grab some food. As I open the door, I'm disturbed for a moment. It's so weird for me to open my door to these black walls. It's been so long since I've been in this house, I was kinda used to the Mindscape. I look at my feet, a little guilt coming through me. I wonder how they are doing, if they are not too much disturbed by yesterday events. It was kinda all of a sudden, I'm not sure what to expect. I hug myself, still fixing my shoes. I wonder what they thought of it, what they think of me? I didn't exactly explain myself or anything.

- Heyyyy Vergie ! How is it going my dear?

I'm forced out of my thoughts by a joyful voice. I suddenly turn around, as I wasn't expecting someone else to come meet me, and I see the duke... hanging from the ceiling. Actually, he's upside down, defying gravity like it's no big deal. I raise my eyebrow as I see him walking towards me, on the ceiling.

I must've been giving him a weird look because he suddenly starts laughing, hitting his knees like I've done something hilarious.

- Ho ho ho ho! Your face is priceless! Poor little Virgie! Don't worry, you'll get used to my little eccentricities again!

I give him a timid smile, as I'm not entirely sure how to react to him. He's kinda messing up with Thomas a lot, and the three others told me to not interact again with him, that he was a bad influence. On the other hand, when I used to live with him and Janus, he wasn't so bad. Yeah, he was acting like a kid and used to pull some pranks on us, but other than that... Maybe I should stop listening to what they say and automatically consider what they tell me as ultimate truths.

I decide to give him a try. Let's start again.

Remus did a backflip and landed next to me, on the floor this time, like a normal person. He then put his hand on my back.

- You must be hungry! Let's go get something to eat!

I nod and we head to the kitchen. I don't quite remember where it is, but fortunatly Remus can guide me.

As we enter the kitchen, Remus started jumping around and grabbed a pan. He looked excited at me, like a child with too much energy.

- We got to celebrate your first day back home! I'll make breakfast for all of us!

I look at him, suspicious.

- I know it's been a while since I've been here, but I'm pretty sure Janus prohibited you from cooking since you're... ahem... let's say ''clumsy''.

- Oh COME ON Virgie! This is a special occasion! And I'll let you know that I can definitely cook!

I stare at him as he takes a spatula... upside down. This is definitely going to end badly, even if I wasn't anxiety I would be able to see how this is gonna end. But, hey, this could be entertaining. So I stayed there, staring at him, far away from him to be sure I'll be safe if something happens, and I giggle as I'm imagining how he could fuck it up.

As the duke had his head in the fridge to get the ingredients, Janus joined us. He sees my first as I'm standing outside of the kitchen.

- Hello Virgil, how are you doing on this gloomy morning?

- Well hello Janus, I'd say this is a sunny day, but I'm doing ok.

He giggles a little, hiding his mouth with his gloved hand. He then asks me what I was doing outside the kitchen. It's my turn to giggle as I point to him Remus. The creative side was looking at the eggs, mumbling that it shouldn't be too hard. I see the colors washing off Janus's face as he sees the duke. He jumped on Remus and tried to grab the eggs and the spatula, panicking a little bit. Remus was surprised by Janus, but he managed to defend himself, trying to keep the items in his possession.

- REMUS! GIVE ME THE EGGS AND THE SPATULA BEFORE YOU DO SOMETHING STUPID!

- BUT I WANNA COOK THE BREAKFAST!

- NO YOU DON'T, PUT THOSE DOWN!

As they are fighting, I'm laughing my butt off. It's been so long since I've laughed genuinely like this. But I can't help myself my I see these two dorks together.

The deceitful trait finally managed to remove the items from Remus' grab, which left him angry, mumbling to himself in one of the corner of the kitchen.

- So I'M going to make the breakfast, he says as he looks at Remus, but you know Remus, it is a good idea to celebrate Virgil's arrival by eating all together.

The creative side relaxed at Janus's words and his face lightened up a little bit.

As I watch them in the kitchen, I tell myself that maybe staying here wouldn't be so bad.

905 words