Vol.1 Ch.2 Act 3

(Play here)

When I woke up I noticed two distinct feelings: one was being cushioned with some of the best pillows we had in the van; the other being in an ocean of Mom's cookies. What I didn't know was the consequences of being a heavy sleeper. I opened my eyes to notice I was on the pullout couch in the van. Ok weird, pretty sure I up and collapsed on the floor... wait. That's when I noticed Yang snoozing on the left side of me cuddled up, and her jubblies on the side. Ruby was sleeping on top of me, clutching on to me tight like a jar of cookies. Ahhh she's drooling that's adorable. Recalling the old bird's teachings, I showered and changed without waking them up, afterwards quietly cooking breakfast for the two of them before shaking them slowly awake.

"Goldilocks, Riding Hood, Nico, it's time for breakfast!" I called out to them.

"Hmmm..."

"Rawr...don't take my cookie jar...Yang...he's mine." Ruby murmured in her sleep.

"Don't worry about them Nero, you can get to initiation early, I'll look after the girls." Nico offered but I stopped her.

"No. I need to do this, otherwise I'm just going to keep doing what I have always done. Running away from the past. Nico can you step out of the van and let Ozpin know the possibility of us running late" I slashed a portal for her to inform Ozpin.

I went over to the pullout couch bed and pet them, slowly and surely they finally got up. Serving them breakfast in bed. I turned on something nice on the radio. Hoping to surprise both of them, I sat over them petting both of their heads. Ruby finally stirred herself awake, when she saw me she cried again and jump into my arms.

"You really are here, you're not d-dead, not m-m-missing." Ruby continued crying "Qrow and Dad would fight all the time.... a-after you disappeared...." Her tears came down like a waterfall.... No a floodgate; her emotions came gushing out like a torrent, but she calmed herself and continued.

"and t-they ... would come back with cuts ... and bruises, the both of them." She managed to say.

"I've heard... because Qrow told me about it" I spit the words out, downtrodden. "Ruby I wanted to go back for so long but I couldn't take it anymore. I was sick of being stabbed, my ribs permanently shattered and my body constantly regenerating itself, starving for days on end until Yang could sneak in and feed me. The most important reason of all: I couldn't bear the thought of Tai's threats coming true and something were to happen to either one of you. So I took Uncle Qrow's offer and I trained under his wing, while helping him with his missions; but we ended up getting separated and for a short period of time I was truly alone..." I felt my heart rate increased. I began hyperventilating and Ruby was shocked to see how much pain I was in, trying to hold in the screaming. She immediately puts an arm on my shoulder, leans in and whispers.

"Shhhhh...breathe in, breathe out. Yang and I are here for you" Ruby said in a calming tone.

"I think I'll wait... " , not realizing I woke up Yang earlier...

"...Y/N.... I... didn't know..." Yang muttered quietly to herself.

"That piece of shit... taught me how the world truly works, for example, if someone had neither an Aura nor a semblance in this world. Simply because I'm not completely human. People took one good look at me and my arm and say stuff like 'Demon' before they run off. However, it's taken me a long time before I became who I am today... and many people to push me here. I'm scared of losing both you and Yang...."