Chapter 4

For the first time in her two lives, Mu RongXue woke up at dawn like the original goods did. She combed her hair, taking care in arranging her silver hairpieces, and put on a fitted, long-sleeved, pure white robe embroidered with thin golden thread. Surprisingly, she shared a similar taste with the original villainess, and would've worn her preferred light blue robes but today she was to represent her peak. How could she not wear the peak's colors? After securing a gold sash around her waist, she tied her spatial bag to the sash tightly and placed Bing Wu snugly in its holder.

After taking a deep breath, she head out of her room. Since reaching Nascent Soul, she has been able to use light arts (1) which essentially allowed her to freely step on air. Since Qin Tang strictly forbade flying using weapons unless an emergency, light arts were the fastest way to travel.

The competition was set to begin in early morning, so Mu RongXue decided to visit her shifu at dawn. Honestly, Mu RongXue wouldn't be surprised if she were not welcome so early, if anyone had visited Winter Pavilion at this godforsaken hour sometime before six, she might've thrown a fit. However, as she arrived, she realized that, not only was Mu YangXi up, it looked like he had been meditating for a while.

Mu RongXue descended quietly taking a seat on a marble stool in the garden designated for her, carful not to disturb her shifu.

Mu YangXi said opening his eyes with a warm smile.

"Xue-er, you're here."

"En, this disciple has come to greet shifu and accompany him to the Qin Tang Competition." Mu RongXue answered bowing. She looked up to her adoptive father. Ah, cultivators in this world are so good looking! It was soothing to visit such a warm person in the morning!

"I see you've reached Nascent Soul, that's... very impressive," Mu YangXi said standing up, "I'm looking forward to your performance this year." He did not overly praise her achievement nor did he put it down, it left a very satisfied feeling in Mu RongXue's chest.

"This disciple will try her best to obtain honor at the competition."

Mu YangXi walked over and patted her daughter's head with the same warm smile he always wore, "I know you will, but it's okay if you don't win. You are still young, there's no need to push yourself."

Mu RongXue smiled confidently at him and nodded. It was only around him that even the original Mu RongXue could show her emotions freely.

Mu YangXi's heart warmed at her expression, "Try not to get hurt. Where else would I find such an adorable daughter?" His eyes softened as he lightly pinched her cheek and patted her head a few more times before leading the way towards the competition grounds, Mu RongXue following close behind.

The Qing Tang Peak competition was held in a semi public area below the mountain of the actual entrance to Qing Tang. The competition between peaks was an important, not only for scouting new talents, but also as a display of power to the people. Citizens, from royalty to peasants, from all surrounding cities were allowed to attend. Many citizens saw this event as a sort of insurance that the people who vowed to protect them were actually strong enough to do so.

There was already a huge crowd of people surrounding the huge stone stage that was about about twelve meters long and twice as wide. There were viewing areas in the crowd sectioned off and separated for the disciples of each peak and small areas for nobility. Overseeing the whole arena were balcony seats for each sect master while their chosen disciple were to stand behind them. Qing Tang was comprised of four peaks, other than Mei Hua Peak, there was also Ke Mo Peak, Bai Jian Peak, and Meng Yu Peak.

They weren't really touched on in the book and the original villainess didn't interact with many due to her lofty temperament so Mu RongXue had really no clue who most of the other peak masters or their disciples were. Let's not get started on knowing their personalities, she could barely even remember their names!