CHAPTER 2 - "The need to use a gun"

Senna – I never knew so much time had passed ever since I finished boot camp and I was on assignment on other countries to provide recon for Zarconian VIP's. And now... I'm going to check out Triquett just because of the rebellion situation. Can this situation for me get any worse?

In any case... I won't find anything of significance in-

"SENNA!!" N'Zala called Senna out, even poking and moving her shoulder. "Seriously, Matrik, you were standing there for nothing again!!"

"Haa...!" Senna reacted embarrassed and looked at N'Zala with some anxiety. "I need a SITREP!" She'd say it too quickly.

"Situation Report? Matrik, now you're just anxious. Calm down, girl. Calm down." He had to kneel down and put his hands on her shoulders. "You're just here. We haven't gotten further into the combat zone yet."

"I..." Senna tried to speak but sighed instead. "I'm sorry. I guess I'm a little too excited. What's the objective?"

"I'll be explaining on the way." N'Zala replied before he would stand and walk off towards the tall staircase and head down. He notices that Senna was following, so he started to explain. "We'll be heading right at the center of the region where the combat zone will start getting tricky on us. According to the mercenary XO, the rebels are using mortars on their men and somehow, they have drones of their own."

"How's that possible?"

"They have an old cache of drones, the XO said." N'Zala led Senna through the bottom of the tall staircase and was already in the parking spaces... "Senna, I've already added one of their drones in our arsenal. Your job will be very simple."

And the next thing Senna knew, the jeep was already being driven down a road past friendly mercenary patrols. Distant gunfire can be heard within the atmosphere of the bright yellow desert town. N'Zala was at the passenger seat and the designated driver was vigilant while he drove. Senna was inspecting the backpack which contained the disassembled rotor-drone and nodded to the fact everything was inside before zipping it close.

Senna sighs before speaking. "So you're saying I have to insert quite close to the combat zone... and I'll be observed through a sniper scope?" She asked while she was wearing a medium-armor combat vest and a black shirt-vest. She then started to wear a gray helmet and strap it on her head before wearing an earpiece on her left ear. "You know that I haven't operated solo and recon-agents my age require... Well... their caretakers."

"I can't be with you the whole time, and we're working with limited resources. Plus... the mercenary XO I talked to can't coordinate properly since Royal forces are known in general to be distractions. He CAN however ensure we don't get fired upon. As to why we're separate? There are two fronts we have to get through. You'll be getting through multiple squads of friendly mercenaries on your end. They're currently holding back a suicide squad run from the rebels just so most of their attack force would get through. I'll be going through the other side of the front to sneak past hostile rebel forces." N'Zala explained while he was checking his Five-Seven sidearm and his combat rifle, the NXC-G8 for anything to jam the two weapons.

Senna nods, understanding how this will work. "So who's going to be watching me through the scope? Foster?"

"That's right."N'Zala replied while gently patting the driver so that Senna would see. "He'll be making sure to keep in constant contact with you."

Foster is the designated driver most of the time with a mask on his mouth and nose, in which the design of the mask was a black-base topped with a white-outlined sketch of a long axe. "You can count on me, Agent Matrik," he said while his eyes were looking forward. "Just make sure you check in with me for updates. I'll watch and protect you. Just make sure you tell me where to go."

"Okay," Senna said. "So what's the objective? Threat assessment?"

"That's right," N'Zala replied to Senna's question. "You've been weaponless for far too long, and you've been trained to use weapons. Unfortunately, even your status as agent can't always leave you unarmed, since you're entering a combat zone." N'Zala made that statement just before he hands over his Five-Seven. "Take it."

Senna was prompted to take the weapon on its handle but she hesitated. "A-are you sure? Usually you'd tell me to snap necks and-"

"This is different. The situation is brewing roughly and you WILL be encountering hostiles. It's time you step up from your beliefs close gunfights can distract you, and do something that will keep you alive. You know how to evade and stay in cover. Please..."

"I..." Senna wanted to speak, but she instead took the pistol first before speaking. She checked the loaded weapon for anything that could jam it. "I have clips for the Five-Seven. I... never thought I'd be taking lives with a pistol now. Okay..." She breathes in and out and nods at N'Zala. "You can count on me."

"It will be like taking lives by snapping necks and... using knives." N'Zala said this, and he got a glare from Senna in response. Why would he say that especially when she doesn't like it? He figured it was a mistake and he uneasily chuckled. "I'm trying to lighten the mood."

"Well I'm not positive, just productive." Senna said this coldly and released the slide before arming it. She puts the pistol on a holster on her combat vest. "Ready."

"Here comes a turn!" Foster said while he made a sharp turn.

Senna knew what to do while she put on the bag containing the disassembled drone. As soon as the jeep turned, she opened the door. She was at the edge of the car as she did and she jumped out while lowering her head along with her body, making a successful flip and landed a bit roughly, though she recovered and got on all fours. This was while the jeep made a straight getaway. She panted, knowing her upper back ached, though she can deal with it before she got on her feet and jogged to the nearest empty house while looking around. "Agent Matrik, callsign Kipper, checking in."

"Copy, Kipper!" Foster's voice came through the earpiece. "I'm gonna be dropping off N'Zala on his side of the infil zone. You just keep going southwest and make it past the mercenary squads. They won't fire on you, but make sure you don't spook them either."

"Copy your last," Senna said while she started to run towards fences and jumped over them. She even ran and climbed some higher walls to not lose time. She kept running, but she needed to slow down since the weight of the disassembled drone was weighing down on her.

I would imagine that I'll be running to sneak around again. And... I know I'll be taking lives at times. I never held a gun to kill someone and I wouldn't start unless it's completely necessary.

As Senna was running, she can remember thoughts of how she originally operated: Absolutely no use of weapons. But as she remembers she has a loaded weapon in her holster, she shook her head off that thought. Now it's become a necessity.

I just hope that things wouldn't get worse. Senna Matrik, ending entry.

And Senna would understand it herself. There's a higher chance she'll be using that gun after all.