Chapter 9

--------------------------

October 29th X318

-------------------------

"Wait up Natsu-nii!"

Glancing back at his little sister, he laughed at her as she tried to keep up with his pace. He then diverted his attention to the little blonde haired boy lagging behind Wendy. Huffing and puffing, the blonde boy stood, knees bent as he stared at the ground, trying to regain his breath while his dark haired brother rolled his eyes at him and continued to read his book from the spot beneath the apple tree. Beside him, a boy with long black hair with piercings over his face ran along side with the pink haired boy, both trying to out run the other.

Determined as he saw the finishing line just up ahead, Natsu increased his pace. He was almost there, just an arm's length away when a scream ripped through the peaceful atmosphere. Following his gut and his nose, he sprinted towards the source of the noise, ignoring the protests of his friends and the worried shout of his little sister.

He stopped dead in his tracks as he gazed at the lifeless field that lay before him. The once great and strong oak tree that stood proudly with its branches holding leaves bright and joyful now looked dull and stale. The once beautiful and rare flowers that bloomed, now lay withering on the ground. The lake that contained water that was so clean and clear is no more. It now only contains the bodies of the once admirable and alluring fishes that resided in the once full lake.

His eyes ignored all of those things, focusing only on the person standing in the middle of the dead field gazing remorsefully at his surroundings, as if he was the reason for nature's destruction. His black hair swayed gently with the with along with his cloths, his bare feet slowly moving towards the young boy staring at him as their eyes met.

The youth's eyes became clouded and glistered with tears, as if he recognized the pink haired boy who stared up at him in confusion and fear. The teen's black eyes that made Natsu's body freeze, turned to glance at something behind him. The boy cautiously turned around, alert of the stranger before him narrowing his eyes at the figure behind him.

Natsu turned to be met with the sight of his frightened little sister, staring at the stranger with terror as her little body shook with fear. His body reacted before his mind did and he found himself standing protectively in front of his little sister, the latter clinging onto her older brother's waist in fright, as he glared defiantly at the stranger who gaze flickered between the two siblings. Trying to be brave and strong for the sake of his sister, Natsu tried his best not to stutter as he spoke.

"Who are you and what do you want?"

The guy did not answer, instead tilting his head to the side to further examine the boy and the girl before him. Natsu tried to contain his irritation and cautiously tried again, his keen ears picking up the sound of footsteps that belonged to the others. By the look on Wendy's face, she had heard the others as well. Now more confident than before, but still wary of the guy before the boy, Natsu called out to him again, this time gaining a response.

"I am someone who has been waiting for you Natsu. I had sensed Igneel's magical presence since I set foot on Tenrou island and came to enquire him. I came quickly in hopes of finding my little brother that I lost in the fire. That little boy is you, Natsu."

The others who had caught up to the two, stared at the guy in front of them. Gajeel stood next to Natsu forming a shield around Wendy and the twin dragon slayers Sting and Rogue. Gajeel along with Natsu, glared at the newcomer with alarm. Natsu's hand burst up in flame, his eyes glaring daggers at the youth with dark hair and dark eyes.

"I will ask this one more time. Who are you and what do you want? How do you know my father?"

Sadness crossed the youth's eyes at the mention of the word father, but Natsu stood firm waiting for answers. He sighed, looking at the boy who stared back at him with anger and fear. Zeref felt another wave of sadness hit him, his little brother feared him. Holding out his hand to the boy, Zeref called out to Natsu.

"Come with me and all your questions will be answered."

Gajeel snorted and turned his arm into a metal pole while he place his free hand on Natsu's shoulder. Natsu stared hard at Zeref, aware of the silent message Gajeel passed to him. Nodding ever so slightly to him, Natsu scowled at Zeref, his frustration and anger clear on his face.

"Do I look stupid to you? I'm not going to go anywhere with you! I don't even know you! Why should I trust you?"

Zeref stared pleadingly at his little brother, trying to make him understand that he is not the enemy here. He placed a hand on his shoulder, a gesture that was supposed to show comfort and love but was promptly met with a punch to the gut by Gajeels's metal arm. Trying to keep his anger under control, Zeref tried again with a gentle but firm voice.

"Natsu, come with me please."

His attempt was met by a flaming fist to his face as he stumbled back in shock. He fell to his knees as Gajeel's arm slammed into his chest, sending Zeref into the ground as dust surrounded them. All the while the three children behind them looked scared as they saw the older children fighting the person with dark eyes. Natsu stared dangerously at Zeref, his fear being replaced by anger as he stood shoulder to shoulder with Gajeel above the teen on the ground.

"HOW DO YOU KNOW MY NAME? AND HOW DO YOU KNOW IGNEEL?"

Natsu shouted with rage as he questioned the fallen guy before him, his anger only rising when his questions were not answered. Natsu lifted him by his collar as he asked his questions once more to the youth.

"HOW DO YOU NAME AND IGNEEL? WHO ARE YOU?"

The last question seemed to be the last straw for Zeref as he stared at Natsu with a look the could kill. Dropping him in shock from the quick change of attitude from the youth, Natsu stepped back a bit along with Gajeel who was also taken aback by the sudden change. Taking advantage of the frozen Natsu, Zeref grabbed onto Natsu's arm and dragged him in the opposite direction Natsu came from.

Natsu came out from shock soon after as he struggled to escape Zeref's strong hold. Gajeel lunged at Zeref in an attempt to free his friend, but was thrown back by Zeref's power. Natsu cried out for his friend that lay unmoving on the ground as the three children charged towards Zeref in determination. With a flick of his hand, he left the children sprawled in pain on the ground as he picked the boy up, who in retaliation continuously hit Zeref to put him down.

He stared tearfully at his friends and tried to contain a sob as his eyes saw his sister laying still on the ground. With what little strength Natsu had left he called out to his father as loud as he could before his world went black and darkness consumed him. 

Word Count: 1286