5. The Second W: Why?

Ok, so you've got the 'where' all figured out. But now you've got to think about why, which is just what this chapter aims to help you do. I've come up with a few questions that I think are important to consider when thinking about building a fantasy world.

Why did you choose to start your book in this place?

Why have you chosen a specific place in your kingdom, planet or galaxy? Why not somewhere else; what makes this place so significant that you feel the need to start your book there?

It could just be something trivial - your main character lives there and you want to start the book by giving readers a clear vision of what this place is.

Or, you want something with a deeper meaning - perhaps a war is about to end/begin. Perhaps there's some kind of social or political disagreement (or agreement). Perhaps you want to do what I did in my first Dragon Tales book and create a prologue before your first chapter detailing how your main characters met each other; this could be both your protagonists (if you have more than one), your romantic couple or even your protagonist and antagonist.

Why is this in your world?

Why is anything in your world? A palace surrounded by a forest; why is it surrounded by a forest? Are the inhabitants of the palace responsible for what lives in the forest, or are they trying to hide something?

Don't have a palace in your book; why? Is there no monarchy; why not? Or, you do have a monarchy, but you're writing a Science Fantasy and you don't want your space monarchs to live in a palace.

There are dragons in your world. Awesome! But why?

There are no humans in your world? Also awesome! But again; why?

Why is your world in peril right now?

This is an important one. Why is your story happening? What is wrong in (or out of) your world that makes you want to write a book?

Is there a war about to break out?

Why is there a war now?

Is there a group of rebels who are building, or have been building, a rebel army after being so unhappy with how the world is and they want to change it for the good? Perhaps your species are tired of being at the bottom of the social hierarchy. Perhaps your world is run by a cruel monarchy/government and your characters wish to overthrow them? Or, are you writing a story from the villain's point of view Then, why does your villain want a war?

Is there someone in your world who shouldn't be there?

Perhaps another fantasy species has found itself in your world by accident? How did this happen and why is it a problem? Are they the species who wish to declare war, or are you already in a war against them?

OR

Is your main character in a world they shouldn't be?

The same thing as above, but vice versa. How is your main character been transported to this new world and why shouldn't they be there? Did they travel there to declare war, or to try and make peace?

Has your world been divided?

Has something happened either recently, or further in the past, that has led the inhabitants of your world to divide themselves? Perhaps you have different species with very different traits and/or abilities who do not get along, which is why they have to be divided. I will use an example from my fantasy book: Dragon Tales.

Dragon Tales is set 300 years after a war. Before the war, the kingdom lived together as one. During the war, there were two sides. The Gem Dynasty, who are dragon hunters, and the Constellation Dynasty, who are dragon healers. The Gem Dynasty was victorious in the war. The kingdom is still divided and now has a third dynasty called the Solar Dynasty, which is home of people who do not wish to involve themselves in the ongoing rivalry.

I would say my kingdom divided themselves due to their different beliefs and talents. For example, those in the Gem Dynasty would have been trained how to hunt with a weapon of their choice (for my main character, this was a sword) due to them being dragon hunters. the Constellation Dynasty, on the other hand, would have been taught a lot about dragonlore (at least, as much as their parents learned) and nursing creatures back to health, as they are dragon healers - this is why my kingdom felt the need to divide themselves.

Why did yours?

********************

A/N: at the end of all the chapters, I am going to put a little exercise/question for you guys to do in the comments as a way for you to interact and really take something away from reading this guide. I will leave an answer regarding my own fantasy book for you to use as an example. Don't forget to vote and share this guide with whoever may need it!

********************

Exercise 5:

So, why is your world in peril right now?

My answer:

Dragons are on the brink of extinction