Chapter Sixteen

A/N Just a heads up, this chapter fucking sucks. I tried to edit it, and failed horribly.

By Tuesday, everything seemed back to normal. It had taken the remainder of the weekend for James to wrap his head around Tyler's confession, but he had managed after many hours of thought, and they found themselves discussing the usual morning content: school, Kalen– specifically, how frequently him and James had been texting and about what–, and when James would come over and have dinner with Tyler's parents again.

"Why do they want me there all the time?" James inquired, kicking his legs up on the dashboard of Tyler's car, glancing at the time as he did so. Green eyes observed this action skeptically, but nothing was said about it. "It's not like they don't know me, and I'm not really that interesting".

"You're telling me," Ty grumbled, laughing a second later when James swatted the back of his head. "They're just happy that I have someone to bring home for once. The company I kept for years when you were back in Florida was fine but I didn't want any of them coming into my house".

"That's sweet," James joked, and Ty's eyes rolled. "Do your parents like it when Pierce comes over".

"Oh, no no no. That man has never been in my house," Tyler claimed. "I mean, at least not for that reason. When he was still in high school he would come over when his family was invited for dinner, but my parents do not like him. Besides, we don't have the kind of relationship where we go over to one another's houses. We just..."

"Have sex in public places?" James finished, and Tyler flushed but shrugged, as if he had no control over this. With a smile, James's eyes moved back to the time. They had nearly twenty minutes before class began, and James cursed his friend for insisting they arrived so early to secure a good parking spot.

"Just come over for dinner sometime soon, okay? You know how much my mother loves you".

James did, and he smiled. "Yeah, alright. I'll talk to my mom about it. I'm sure she'd like to do something with both of our families together too".

"For sure. It's been a while since we've done something like that. I mean, we took you guys out for dinner after moving in, but we haven't had one of those dinner parties since I used to live in Florida".

"Yeah," James agreed, somewhat sadly as he thought back to the last time they had all had a planned dinner together. He couldn't remember it specifically, since it had taken place all those years ago, but Ace had surly been present. "Hey, do your parents know you like men?"

"My mom knows. My dad does too, probably," Ty said softly, shrugging his shoulders again. "I needed to confide in someone about your brother so I talked to my mom. I'm assuming she told my dad but he's never brought it up to me. You know my dad though. I can't even imagine what he would say". James snorted at this, and then checked the time again.

He was incredibly anxious to leave that morning, feeling off put that Kalen was in the building instead of the back of the car, participating in their conversation.

"Okay, you need to stop doing that".

Unaware that he had been doing anything wrong, James's eyebrows raised. "Doing what?" He questioned, bringing his attention back to Tyler, who was glaring at him.

"Looking at the time and sighing loudly," Tyler accused. "It's driving me up the fucking wall. What's the rush anyways?" Quickly, James averted his eyes and didn't respond. "Oh my god, you just want to go see Kalen".

"So what if I do?" James grumbled, somewhat embarrassed.

"I thought you still can't decide on how to act on that," Tyler reminded, eyes narrowing in an accusatory way that made James shift in his seat. He didn't really see the importance of the last statement.