Chapter Twenty One

A/N Theres a point I hit in editing where I'm just sick of everything and begin to half ass everything, and I've just reached that point, so I'm sorry from here on out

It didn't take much to convince Tyler to accompany to the Bradford party, though James had a suspicion his friends agreement had to do more with a certain Bradford boy and not James's own concerns. He didn't really care. As long as Tyler would be by his side for the majority of the night— because where else would he go when he wasn't with Pierce— James couldn't care less what the boy's reasons for coming were.

"So what you're saying is that you've been in the Bradford's house before?" Ty asked from the driver's seat and James turned to look at him.

They were both wearing suits for the occasion, and Tyler's was a steel grey that made his eyes look very green. The only thing off about him were the bags under his eyes, indicating that he hadn't slept well the night before. Overall, Ty looked good, probably for Pierce's sake, though Ty had flat out rejected that notion the second James had mentioned it.

"Well I'm dating a Bradford," James reminded, reaching up to absently straighten the burgundy tie Kalen had bought him for the occasion.

His boyfriend has been able to sense James's nerves over spending an evening with the Bradford's extended relatives, and after a conversation in which Kalen pointed out you're probably not going to need to talk to the majority of them anyways, it had come forth that James was mostly worried about the first impression he made. Kalen's solution was to buy him a tie.

It didn't really help his nerves, but when he thought about it, it made him feel warm inside, and that was something.

"You're secretly dating a Bradford," Tyler corrected, turning on his blinker before James gave him the instruction to. Clearly he already knew the way. "Secretly doing things with the Bradford's doesn't get you into their super cool house. I would know".

"That's different," James protested, checking his phone in his lap. There was a text from Kalen. "You're secretly fucking one of the Bradford's. I'm just secretly dating one".

From: Kal

On your way? No rush

James quickly responded to him before slipping his phone back in his pocket, not expecting a response. There were far more things for Kalen to worry about at the moment beside him. He was currently back to being one of his fathers seven trophies.

"You dating one will eventually lead to you fucking one though," Tyler pointed out. "I'm only doing one of those things".

"You're doing the non sentimental one. There's no reason for Pierce to bring you to his family home".

"I suppose so," Tyler agreed after a brief pause. They were nearing the house now and there were dozens of expensive cars lining the streets. "Wow. I think I'm actually embarrassed to park here".

James reached forward to affectionately pat the dashboard of Ty's car, which wasn't nearly as new as the two cars they ended up parking between. It was a ways away for the Bradford's front door, but James didn't mind. He hoped the walk helped him calm down.

Somehow, as always, Tyler picked up on this. "Why are you so nervous man? We're going to a party in a big ass mansion, there's gonna be lots of good food, and Kalen's going to be there".

"What if I embarrass myself in front of Kalen and his family," James worried, reaching up to adjust his tie again, only to be batted away by Tyler.

"James, between the two of us, I'm the embarrassing one. You have nothing to worry about, so take a deep breath and then forget about it. If you go in there looking all nervous and shit the Bradford's are gonna wonder why. Most people aren't nervous to go to a dinner party for their friend. Don't give them any reason to ask questions," Tyler advised, and James shot his friend a surprised look as they started up the Bradford's driveway. He had to remember that Tyler had been hiding something from the Bradford's for far longer than he had.