Chapter Twenty Six

James was awoken by his phone ringing at an ungodly hour. Typically, he would have ignored it, but he knew Kalen had dinner with his family, and he hadn't heard from his boyfriend since, so he sat up in bed with a groan and turned on the lamp by his bed.

The ringing stopped just as James fingers touched the device, and he sighed heavily upon seeing his boyfriend's name, followed by one missed call. Immediately called Kalen back, tapping his fingers against his thigh as it rang. Once. Twice. Three times. Four.

And then, "oh good, you're still up," was said in his ear, and James breathed a long sigh. "Wanna come open your front door? It's really fucking cold out here and I've been out here for like ten minutes".

"You're here right now?" James asked, already swinging his legs over the side of the bed. "Did it not go well?"

"Shh," Kalen said softly, and it sounded like there was a smile on his voice. "I'll explain everything. Just come let me in". The line dropped, and James made his way down the stairs, going at the fastest pace he could while keeping his movements completely silent. The only noise he made was at the end of his treck, when he had to undo the deadbolt on the door, which clicked loudly, but he payed it no mind. Standing on his porch was Kalen, wearing a thick fleece coat with buttons down the front. His face was tucked into his collar, but when James opened the door Kalen lifted his head to grin at him, cheeks very red.

"Hi," he greeted happily, the majority of his voice being taken by the wind. James smiled back at him before leaning out of the house and grabbing Kalen's wrist, pulling him inside.

"Hi," he replied, astounded by how cold Kalen's hand was when he brushed his fingers over it. "What are you doing out there? It's almost midnight, and it's freezing". Quickly, James pressed the door closed and redid the lock, which clicked again.

Kalen just hummed as if neither of these things affected him, and then slipped his cold fingers up the front of James's shirt to press into the warm skin of his abdomen. The sensencation had James jerking beneath his boyfriends figer tips, his eyes widening and his breath catching loudly, but a second later Kalen was pressing his lips against his gently.

While the rest of Kalen was cold, his mouth was still warm.

"What was that for?" James inquired once they parted, only a short moment later since he could no longer stand Kalen's cold fingers chasing the lines of his stomach. A low whine left Kalen as James gripped his wrists and forced his hands off of him, but then he smiled when James instead cupped Kalen's fingers between both of his and blew hot air across them.

"It was for everything working out," Kalen assured, and James's eyebrows raised. "I'll explain. Are your parents sleeping?"

"Of course". James looked over his shoulder down the dark hallway that his parents room was at the end of. "We should probably go upstairs and talk so we don't wake them. I don't think they'd mind that you were here, but I'm sure they'd tell us to go to sleep right away so we're not tired for school".

"Are you worried about being tired about school?" Kalen inquired, voice far softer now that he was cautious about waking James's parents.

"Not really," James responded, lacing his fingers through those on Kalen's left hand and quietly leading him to the staircase. "I don't mind staying up to talk to you".

"I'm sorry". Kalen apologized quickly, and James's eyebrows drew together. "I was planning on reaching out to you sooner. It'll make sense when I explain why I didn't text you".

"I'm not mad at you," James assured. "I figured you'd tell me what happened eventually." He smiled at Kalen then. "I'll be honest, though. I was just expecting a text rather than an in person meeting".