C H A P T E R . ➎ : dance scene 1

All the harmony went

 Falling out of key,  so

Now you gotta find another

................................

I'm going to kill that son of bitch.

That's when I saw him In a well cut suit, whispering something in a girls ear, which she responded by  giggling continuously. They exchanged knowing smiles as he kindly wrapped his arm around her. 

I felt sick. A pang of betrayal hit me, seeing them like this. I tried to shake that feeling off, but it was pointless. Sure, I didn't ask him, but he said he would go to the dance with me, doesn't that mean anything to him? I knew he was a player, why was I so gullible?

I felt the hot air of the party suffocating. I need to get out of here. I walked back to the exit, tears making everything blurry. I kind of hoped Harper would come to the rescue, but I knew she was off with John. That left only me, with a jackass date. 

Wham!

Suddenly, I rammed head first roughly into someone, sending me stumbling, taking a couple of steps back to maintain my balance, making me clumsily trip on my dress before plummeting backwards. My heart echoed in my chest, the world moving slowly, knowing I would hit the floor, hard.

I felt a strong arm grab onto my waist as I clutched on his suit desperately. I was breathing heavily, trying to calm my heart which was drumming ferociously.

" Are you alright?" I heard vaguely, the pounding in my ears overlapping it completely.

He said something inaudible as I pushed him away, not daring to look at him in the eyes. 

" Miss, is something wrong?" He repeated, sounding worried.

I was sick of it. Angry tears burned my eyes while I felt anger rise up to me as I exploded,

" Is there something wrong? I change school mid-fucking-semester, my date is out there flirting with some other girl, for fuck's sake,and now you bump into me? What the hell is-" 

I looked up to him and saw his face, deadly silent. 

Oh, my god. Ace Genovese. 

I reddened with embarrassment. Now look what you did? I scowled myself. 

" I'm sorry." I feebly muttered as I quickly ran for the exit, not colliding into anyone this time, thinking about the face he made before I left : completely puzzled. I didn't even dare to look back as I pushed my way out.

Once I was outside, a flow of bottled up emotions were set free. I deliberately let my tears fall, not caring that my eyeliner was smeared or that my mascara was runny. Sobbing heavily, I was suddenly aware of the lonely hole in me, how much I missed Brooklyn. Somewhere I actually fit in. I crouched into a ball, resting my head on my knees, my head burning.

The cold night air sent shivers down my spine, I rubbed my eyes for the last tears to fall bitterly. By now, I had dry tear stains all over my face and my nose was clogged as I breathed from my mouth, making puffs of white air. It was oddly reassuring as I admired them with each breath I took.

I heard footsteps approaching as I buried my head deeper in my knees. After so many bad things that happened in one evening, someone seeing myself in this pitiful state was not an something I plan on adding to my list. 

I heard the mysterious person getting nearer and bending down next to me. As much as my curiosity was longing to know who it was, I kept my face hidden. Out of the sudden, I felt a warm hand gently touch my cold arm. 

I held my head up when I saw him. I suddenly ducked it again. No, please, no.  

" I'm sorry to disturb you. I can go if you want." Ace said sympathetically.

He started to get up as I placed my hand on his arm,

" Please stay." I managed to say.

He sat by me and I told him everything : Tristan and that girl, how much I missed Brooklyn, how it was bizarre to be suddenly rich, even how I didn't really support my mothers marriage, something I hadn't told anyone before. He listened to my every word without judging, something I deeply appreciated.

Tears started forming in my eyes again.

" Is something wrong?" He said, deep concern in his eyes. 

" Damn it," I said jokingly even though my voice was a little broken. " I'm just over emotional, don't mind me." 

I tried to wiped them away when he wrapped his arms gently around me. Surprised, I was a little stiff until I let myself relax in his arms, his warmth embracing me comfortingly. I snuggled in his chest. 

" Thank you." I whispered in his ear.

He stiffened for a moment, confused. He had no idea what all of this felt to me, being able to tell everything I felt, letting all of these locked up thoughts free. How grateful I was for him. I broke our embrace and looked into his ocean eyes.

" Thank you. For being real to me. Being honest." He said.

We exchanged smiles. Heat filled my heart, making me forget how cold it was outside.

" We should get back to the party." He mentioned after a moment, as I panicked, retreating to my safe position.

" No, I can't, he's there! Plus my makeup is smeared." I fast-talked. No way I could go back there.

" Here." He took out a handkerchief as I took it dubiously. He stood up and held his hand towards me. " Let's go."

Just like that, I took it. 

................................................

Hello!

I just want to say while I was writing this I was listening to a sad song which was making me weep when I wrote, which explains the dramatic sadness in this chapter

See you next chapter! PS I read all of your comments you have no idea how good it feels when I read them!

.....................................................