THIRTEEN: THIRST FOR TRUTH

The night air was damp and smelled like it was going to storm, but that didn't deter him from going to survey the Allen house.

Peter Parker watches from the shadows as Elizabeth closed the door behind her. He had been here at least forty-five minutes and nothing he had seen was out of the ordinary besides Flash driving his dad's car with his brother in the back seat. Peter pulls his phone out and composes an apology text to Elizabeth. Peter lets out a large and long sigh and hits send on his screen.

To be frank the best way he could describe the text was complete and utter bullshit and Elizabeth would probably know it. He  hoped for the life of him that Elizabeth went along with his low effort apology so Liz wouldn't break up with him.

He casts one more look at Liz's house and jumps off the side of the the house he was hiding on to watch them.

It was complete and utter bullshit. That's what Elizabeth Copper thought of Peter's apology as she read it lying on the lower half of Liz's trundle bed. Maybe Peter was trying to be cordial, but Elizabeth didn't have the time or energy to deal with his guilt trip or what ever stunt he was trying to pull. For a moment she thinks he might be sincere, but it's fleeting.

With a soft annoyed groan Elizabeth turned off her phone screen and put it back on its charger. Liz turns over in her sleep above her and Elizabeth lays in the darkness staring at the ceiling. On the ceiling was a Fifth Harmony and a Taylor Swift poster along with glow in the dark stickers holding up pictures of Liz and the rest of her family along with quite a bit of just her and Elizabeth. Elizabeth yanks her blankets up to her chin when she hears the AC turn on and closed her eyes. She and Liz had a break in to plan so she could find out the truth about her powers.

Eventually, the blonde girl's exhaustion finally caught up to her and she left her drift off into a dreamless sleep.

Everything was calm the next day at Midtown High despite Elizabeth's annoyance that she had a phys ed quiz in gym with Mr. Drake. Who the hell gave quizzes in gym.

Now Elizabeth stood in the school's gym wearing her PE shirt and shorts she and Liz bought a few weeks ago at the mall with her blonde hair in a ponytail. Flash was in class, but she stayed away seeing that she didn't want people to know about them. MJ was skipping as usual much to Elizabeth's annoyance.

"Okay," Drake said looking at his clipboard and walking around aimlessly, "first we're going to start with some pull-ups and that's all you have to do today."

The class groans as Mr. Drake starts toward the bar used for an array of different exercises. A lot of students trudge behind him or drag their feet over to the bar. The teacher called alphabetical names while Elizabeth stared out the window as rain pelted the thick gym windows. 

"Copper," the sound of her last name pulls Elizabeth's eyes away from the rain, "you're up now."

 Elizabeth makes her way through a crowd of her classmates and stands underneath the bar that was screwed into the concrete wall. Elizabeth puts her hands on the bar and pulls herself up effortlessly. Every since she got her powers Elizabeth was stronger and faster like she was a whole new person and not to mention she dropped twenty five pounds from not being able to eat while a coma. 

Elizabeth did ten pull-ups until she got bored and let go of the bar. Drake waves her off which means she can leave class like everyone, who did their pull-up quiz before her. 

"Impressive, Copper," Drake said and started writing her grade on his clipboard. Elizabeth walks away and goes into the locker room after shooting a smug look at Flash. She changes back into her sweater and blue jeans. Elizabeth brushes her hair until it's somewhat straight once again. Elizabeth tries to fix her bangs, but they're way too overgrown to hang in front of her face like they used to. Sure, she looked good, but she needed a haircut. 

She leaves the locker room after getting her backpack and walked through the hallway until she saw Peter. 

"Oh hey, Parker," Elizabeth said as Peter's eyes dart back and forth to look like he was looking for some way to escape or an excuse. Peter's spidey sense goes off when she gets close to him. 

"Liz isn't here right now," Peter said in a monotone, "I know something's going with you and Liz."  

Elizabeth lets a deep breath and prepares her lie. 

"Listen, Pete. I'm sorry if it feels like Liz has hung you out to dry. It's my fault," Elizabeth tells him in a soft voice, "I don't know if you know this, but I don't live my family anymore." 

Peter rubs his arm in a display of his awkwardness at Elizabeth's confession. 

"No, no. It's okay. I let my jealousy get out of hand and you and Liz don't deserve that," Peter said and stuck his hands in his back pockets. Each person in that hall was lying and had a weak feeling so was the other, but in order to save face they both smile at one another. 

Elizabeth walks closer to him and hugs him. She accidentally shocks him. 

"Static," Elizabeth said suddenly pulling away from Peter, "it was good talking to you, Pete." 

They smile at each other and Elizabeth walks away toward the direction library quickly with her blonde hair swinging in her face. Peter watches her go, this interaction has made his thirst for the truth insatiable, but he had a feeling that Elizabeth wasn't a puppet master, but she was certainly a big part on the endgame.