Chapter 4

He winced as his voice cracked, confusion sprinkled on his face. He couldn't figure out why Narcissa Malfoy was at Private Drive, or why his bed was so soft. Or why she was holding his hand when she was clear across the room.

"Harry!" She hastened over to the bed, smiling at him. "You're at Malfoy Manor. When Albus approached us about keeping you here for the rest of the summer I was delighted to accept. I was hoping I could apologize, on behalf of the entire Malfoy family, for the way we have acted in the past."

Harry squinted at her, unsure of her motives. She seemed genuinely sorry, so he nodded his head before wincing a little at the throbbing pain that came with that action. She beamed, while she poured him a small glass of water.

"I'm so relieved. I'm sure you're full of questions Harry." He nodded again, more accustomed to the throb the movement caused. She lowered her voice, concern practically dripping from it. "Can you use your voice?"

"Barely." His throat was raw with pain, but he managed to force the tiny word out. He wasn't willing to try to start asking questions just yet though.

"I'll get the healer straight away." She sighed a breath of relief. "I'm so glad you're awake Harry." With that, she turned and closed the door softly behind her. The moment of peace let Harry wonder why his hand was still being held, and he had the answer shortly.

"You gave us all quite a scare, Harry." He jerked with confusion. He knew that voice, but there's no way Draco Malfoy, of all people, was talking to him so normally. "Shh, relax." A hand rested on his chest, trying to keep him from moving too suddenly. "You were unconscious for a week. And since you had, indeed, gotten an inheritance, we couldn't give you any potions. We had to just watch and wait for you to come back to us. But it's all right, there should be a healer coming in any moment now."

He tried to keep his eyes open and trained on Malfoy, but he was at an odd angle and his eyes couldn't strain that far for long. Draco, sensing this, moved to his mother's chair. "Look, I know you must be confused." Harry nodded, stronger this time. The throbbing was settling into a dull ache. "I promise you, I will answer every single question you have once the healer takes a look at you." The door opened again, and in whirled a young woman with blonde hair and mint green healer robes.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Potter. I heard we gave everyone quite a scare with the inheritance hitting you so hard." She started casting diagnosis spells and fished out several potions from a small bag. "Ahh, here we are. Well Mr. Potter, your throat has been ripped raw, which I expected with all your changes. It was bound to hurt, yeah?" He nodded. "Here, open up. It won't taste good, but it'll make your throat feel so much better."

He greedily drank the potion and swallowed, not even caring that it tasted like dung. The sweet sensation of his throat healing as the liquid coursed through his throat was heavenly.

"Alright, now Mr. Potter. Would you like a moment alone with me or would you like someone to stay? There are some matters we have to discuss regarding your health."

"No, I'm fine. Really." He felt someone squeezing his hand.

"I'll stay. Mother?" Narcissa whisked everyone out of the room and closed the door softly.

"Draco, I'm fine, really-" He was cut off by Draco's snort.

"No Harry, you aren't. Trust me when I say this, I know you are not well. I'm staying for this. I want to help you." Harry started to panic. Draco couldn't know what happened to him. He couldn't find out what had happened at the Dursley's this summer, he was sure to blast it all over the school. "Harry, I've changed a lot over the summer. I won't tell anyone. I'll even confide in you some of my secrets under the veritaserum potion that I have in my room. Whatever it takes to let you let me help you."