Chapter 5

He couldn't believe what he saw in the mirror. He really had wings. Large, billowy, soft wings. He vaguely wondered if they worked or if they were just for decoration. Reaching next to him and grabbing onto the chair, he slumped over. He really had bloody wings. He looked so different, yet so similar to what he had before his birthday. He stumbled to the bed and sat down in the middle of it, staring off into his own little world where his reflection was everywhere around him. He was flabbergasted.

Crossing his legs, he managed to snap out of it to look at Malfoy. Now that he was up, he wanted answers.

"How come you're trying to help me?" He narrowed his eyes in suspicion. Draco Malfoy didn't do anything unless it suited Draco Malfoy. His eyes only narrowed more when the blond laughed.

"Still don't trust me, eh? What about now?" He stood up and allowed his veela form to show. "My mother's side of the family has a few veela. I knew this is what I would look like since I was young enough to know what an inheritance was." Harry couldn't tear his eyes away. The blond hair turned into liquid silver his shoulders were broader, his skin got lighter and his eyes....they were pools of mercury staring back at him. The changes were so many, and so subtle that upon further thought you wouldn't notice one or two. But combined, it made for a hell of a difference. "You'll catch more flies with honey than spit, Harry." He quickly shut his mouth, forgetting that he had fangs now. It resulted in him almost biting his tongue. He would have to remember about that.

Narcissa walked in carrying a tray full of tea, crumpets and vials filled with potions.

"I've brought snacks and tea! Now Harry, I insist you eat at least some of these. You're a growing man and on top of that, you've had a lot happen to you this summer. And be sure you drink every single one of those potions-I'm not above forcing you to take them." She sat down next to the bed and Draco politely excused himself.

"Mrs. Malf-"

"Oh hush!" she interrupted him. "Don't you dare. It's Narcissa to you."

"Narcissa, then. What's wrong with your son? The whole lot of you, actually. No offence." He could feel a blush creep up his cheeks at his rudeness.

"Don't worry, I'm not offended. I've spent the entire summer telling my son and my husband that they've been awful to everyone around them for years. It took some heavy persuading to convince Draco, but he caved first. It took Lucius more time to truly see the error of his ways. They're both very embarrassed and they both want to make it right. Particularly with you Harry. They're ashamed that they have treated you with such hatred, that they could treat anyone with hatred. It almost tore Lucius and I apart.

"I know you're concerned about Draco spilling his guts about your inheritance, but I assure you that he will not. Veela are unique for more ways than one. There are only a few reasons we can show our true forms to the people around us. Anger is one, but the other is trust. He trusts you with his secret and he wishes you to trust him with yours. He's always been a little infatuated with you, you know." She sipped her tea, knowing that questions were to follow.

"Really?" Harry took a bite of a crumpet before drinking the potions that were laid out so carefully for him. He continued to nibble and sip as Narcissa talked.

"Oh my, yes! You wouldn't believe it if you saw it. He came home the first holiday in first year and went on and on about how the great Harry Potter didn't think he was good enough to be his friend. He spent the rest of the year trying to impress you from afar, but it seemed like everything he tried pushed you farther and farther away.

"In second year, he was so disappointed that you hadn't changed your mind over the summer that he wrote home the very first night to express how disappointed he was. In third year, he wasn't even upset that Miss Granger had punched him in the nose. He was upset he couldn't seem to ever get it right. That's when he stopped pursuing your friendship, albeit in an odd way, and started observing you from afar. He's always ribbed your friends, because he was jealous of them. He wanted that closeness to you, although he couldn't figure out why." She saw the question sparkling in Harry's eyes then. "No, I won't tell you why. I figured it out fairly quickly, but I won't be divulging that information until he wants to tell you himself." She rocked herself in the chair that had been next to Draco's spot and continued.