Chapter 9

"Welcome first years! And to our older students, welcome back!" Dumbledore's voice rang out across the hall. Harry and Draco were in a room off to the side, presumably the professor's lounge. They were nervous, their wings out and their ethereal beauty shining brightly. They were supposed to walk out on McGonagall's cue. Dumbledore's speech finally drifted off after he introduced McGonagall for the sorting.

"Students of Hogwarts! It's my pleasure to welcome you all back. Before we sort the first years into their houses, I would like to take a moment of your time.

"As you all know by now; Voldemort is dead!" The roaring cheers were deafening, even with a door between them and the hall. "Yes, yes. A time to celebrate indeed. I will expect the prejudices to disappear this year, as there is no longer any excuses for any of you. It is the time to put our differences aside, and to lead the Wizarding World into a new era! One of kindness, acceptance and tolerance. And leading us into that era are none other than our very own Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy!" The hall burst into cheering again and the two took that as their cue. They joined the professor in front of the students, smiling at the support she was sending them. The cheering died down much faster, the student body shocked into silence.

"Once bitter rivals put their differences aside to see the beauty the other had to behold. Harry Potter, the Chosen One is now a dark angel. Draco Malfoy, the Slytherin Ice Prince is now a veela. They put aside personal differences and disregarded their different races in order to pursue a life of happiness and love instead of rivalry and bitterness. I am thrilled they took the first step towards a happier future, and I wish you all to do the same." She nodded and they went to sit at the Gryffindor table. The Gryffindors were more open to Draco's apology letters than the Slytherins were.

The sorting was fast this year, and when the feast appeared Harry and Draco were bombarded with questions. Hermione saw the two flinch from over stimulation and whistled to get everyone at their table to calm down.

"One at a time, really are we animals?" Ron affirmed that statement while shoving a turkey leg into his mouth.

Harry and Draco spent the rest of the dinner feeding each other and answering the questions of their classmates. Even students from other houses were walking over to them to ask questions.

Eventually so many people had asked if they could really fly Draco started whispering to Harry so quietly only his ears had a chance of hearing.

"When they start to gather the students to go to the common rooms, grab onto me. We'll show them just how well we can fly." Harry giggled and they stood up when Dumbledore dismissed the hall.

The entire student body had its eyes on them, waiting with baited breath. Draco grabbed Harry around the waist and Harry wrapped his arms around his neck and Draco took off with one large flap of his wings. They soared, spinning as they ascended towards the imitated night sky. Harry laughed with the exhilaration of it and Draco smiled down at him, clutching his hands around Harry's back tighter and swooping out the large double doors.

The crowd behind them cheered.

Draco held onto Harry as they soared through the halls to their rooms and landed. He readjusted Harry in his arms, cradling him and walked through the entrance to their rooms.

The common room was less of a common room and more of a large living room. Emerald green with gold accents made the space feel cozy; there was a huge fireplace off to the left, with oversized chairs and a smaller couch. Behind that was a kitchen and an island with bar stools on the other side. To their right was a study nook with a large table and chairs, complete with a tall bookshelf against the wall. Just beyond that was a doorway that presumably led to their rooms.