Chapter One🗸

Lailah Walker flashed a kind smile to the bus driver, "Thank you, Mr

Lailah Walker flashed a kind smile to the bus driver, "Thank you, Mr. Ryan," and followed after her best-est friend Bart Sheffield, when a few laughing pricks on the bus shoved them out.

Lailah landed on top of him, but quickly got off him and pulled him off the floor when one guy called out, "Hey, freak-boy!

"Have a nice trip!" He laughed as others on the bus threw papers out the window.

"See you next fall!" They called, by this time, everyone was already watching from the windows, joining in on the laughter.

Lailah shouted as she felt the urge to defend him, "Leave him alone, ass-butt!"

One of the older girls on the bus giggled and quipped, "As always, the Sheffields' Webster to the rescue!" Making the entire bus erupt in laughter again.

Bart grabbed Lailah's hands tightly as her eyes burned with tears.

Jory and his girlfriend, Melodie stepped out of the bus, "Get outta here Jerk-offs."

"Or what," He challenged, "You gonna kick my ass, ballerina boy?"

Melodie intervened, "Get a life Moron!"

Jory walked towards Bart and Lailah, "Don't listen to them, guys."

He grabbed Lailah's shoulder and looked at Bart, "Melodie and I are going for a hike, don't tell mom and dad, okay?"

Bart nodded and Jory slapped his shoulder, "See you at home, guys"

_*_*_*_

The two friends walked side-by-side silently, thoughts plaguing their minds. Bart eventually started to walk faster the Lailah, as if to get away from her.

"Bart! Slow down, you're walking too fast!" Lailah screeched out panting like a dog.

Bart stayed silent and continued at his pace. Confusion racked Lailah's mind, "Are you mad at me, Bart?" She simpered.

Bart stopped and turned around to walk back to her, "I'm sorry, Bart. I'm such a terrible friend to not try harder to defend you." She continued with tears in her eyes.

He wrapped his arms around her and said, "I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at myself for not doing anything when that pig disrespected you. I could never be mad at you."

Lailah hugged him tight, "I could never be mad at you either," she pulled away from him and looked into his eyes with a spark. "How about we make ourselves feel better and find some bugs!"

She ran up ahead into the trees following the path, "Bart, hurry, come here," she called.

Bart followed and found her pointing to a tall branch.

"Bart, look there's a beetle on this freakishly tall tree," Lailah exclaimed.

Bart gently moved her out of the way and reached the branch easily, successfully obtaining the beetle.