Chapter Four🗸

"If you're a good woman, why would he say he never met you if he did? Why would you not want to tell me that, that was the painting of him?" Bart demanded on the verge of tears.

Mrs. Foxworth remained silent, "Because he's my son, Bart."

_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Lailah clasped her hand to her mouth in shock. Bart looked like he was sick, Lailah sat him down, also trying to process that information.

"M-my dad is your son and my mom is your daughter? T-then..." Bart trailed off.

"I think you understand," Mrs. Foxworth said, "It's one of my biggest failings as a parent. And as a parent, you feel somewhat responsible, though you aren't in the least. But still, despite everything, I love them, as mothers do."

"Why didn't you tell me," Bart asked, slightly upset.

"I wanted to protect you, and there's nothing that this knowledge can do except complicate things, but you two are very curious and now you understand." She leaned in close.

"Now you both, understand why they've kept me away all these years. It's why I had my breakdown in the first place. It's been awful for me, and I can only imagine how awful it must be for you now." She sympathizes.

"I can't believe it," Lailah says,

"Lailah, Bart, you must promise that you will never speak of this to anyone, or it will ruin your life. Do you understand me?" They both nodded.

"D-Did you know my real father?" Bart asks softly.

Mrs. Foxworth sighs, "Oh, Bart. You are too curious, and as they say, curiosity killed the cat."

She tries to lead him off the topic, "Did you know him?" Lailah asks forcefully, knowing it means a lot to Bart.

"I'm feeling faint...so faint." Mrs. Foxworth continues while John Amos comes in to deliver tea. "All I want is my family back, nevermind the past."

"I guess we should get going, my mom will wonder where we are," Bart mutters and leaves with Lailah.

_*_*_*_

"What are you gonna do, confront them?" Lailah questions Bart who is playing with Clover.

"Sins, sins must be paid for, but how?" Bart ponders.

He stands up, "You almost killed me, Clover, you know that?" Bart says looking down at him and walks away.

Lailah joins him in his walk and links hands with him, "With blood and tears. Blood for vengeance and tears for forgiveness."

When they made it back inside the family and Melodie were playing a card game. There was only one empty chair so Bart let Lailah sit on it and he sat on the floor by her legs.

"So Melodie, have you decided which university you're gonna go to?" Dr. Sheffield asks.

"Father wants me to go to college in New England, he says California universities are overrun by leftists." Melodie says chuckles.

"Well, when you're finished you should definitely come back here. I mean, you're practically part of the family" Mrs. Sheffield insists.

"Mom!" Jory says, embarassed.

"You don't want to be part of this family," Bart says darkly, "Our blood is cursed."

"I'm just kidding," He says, "It's not like our family's plagued with dark secrets or hypocrisy." Bart retorts.

Mrs. Sheffield tries to change the subject with lunch and they all leave. Bart and Lailah go up to his room where he decides to continue reading Malcolm's journal out loud.