Chapter Three🗸

Bart and Lailah woke up early the next day to go visit their neighbor Mrs

Bart and Lailah woke up early the next day to go visit their neighbor Mrs. Foxworth.
They found her in her garden tending the plants, "I'm so happy you both came to visit me again?"
This time she wasn't wearing her veil to cover her face, "You look very beautiful, Mrs. Foxworth," Lailah gushed.

"Yeah, without that thing on you, your face doesn't look that bad, for being 80 or whatever." Bart said thoughtlessly like always.
Lailah gaped at Bart's forwardness as Mrs. Foxworth replied, "Wow! I'm not that long in the tooth, but thank you, I'm flattered."

Lailah went around looking at all the plants, "You planted all of these?" She questioned.

"No, John Amos did, but I instructed," Mrs. Foxworth chuckled. "Have you thought about that job, yet"

Lailah watched Bart to see what he would say, he looks down thinking it over and says, "Yeah,I wanna do it."
Lailah nods, "If he's in, then so am I." She says confidently. She goes back to playing with some flowers when her name is called by Mrs. Foxworth.
"Now Lailah, you didn't really tell me what you wanted, but Bart told me you like bunnies. I thought it would be the cutest thing, a pure, gentle creature for a pure, gentle girl."

Lailah's face brightened when she took hold of the fluffy, loveable bunny.

"Thank you so much, Mrs. Foxworth," Lailah said delightfully.

"We can't take them home, my mom and dad will get really mad," Bart realized.

"Your parents need to relax, you can keep them here," Mrs. Foxworth dismissed.

Bart still felt a little uneasy about this, "Why would you give us this, you just met us,"

Lailah looked up from her bunny when she realized that Mrs. Foxworth was about to confess something, "Well, what if I told you that I'm not a complete stranger?"

Mrs. Foxworth kneeled down, "What if I told you that we're related? That our lineage is inextricably connected, like the rose to the thorn."

She brushed Bart's hair out of his eyes, and instinctively Lailah was at his side, "You have your great-grandfather's ears and nose."

"What does that mean?" Bart questioned.

"I'm your grandmother, Bart." Mrs. Foxworth said smiling.

They all found themselves looking through old newspapers of Corrine Foxworth.

"Family is complicated, nevertheless they must always stick together. That's why I have come to make amends with your mother." Mrs. Foxworth grabbed Bart's hand and Lailah's hand making her wince in pain, "You mustn't tell Chris or Cathy, I'll tell them both when the time is right."

"Mr. Sheffield came up with a 'No secrets' policy in their house," Laila said softly/

Mrs. Foxworth looked like she was holding back a laugh, "Oh, really? Now that's very ironic."