Chapter Two🗸

"I just have to review for my midterm next week, and I'm set," Jory declared

"Good man," Dr. Sheffield responded, "What about you Bart?"

"How'd you do on that geometry test?" The doctor questioned.

Bart said weakly, "Fine."

"Come on, you know we have a 'No Secrets' policy in this family." Dr. Sheffield reminded him.

Bart sighed, "Lailah got an 'A', and I got a 'C'"

Mrs. Sheffield sucks her teeth, "Oh, Bart..."

Dr. Sheffield interrupts her to say, "Now, now, that's okay. I had plenty of C's in my day. You can work through that, especially with a great tutor like Lailah, if you wouldn't mind." He ends looking at Lailah, who smiles and accepts the offer.

"You know what would help me work really hard," Bart begins making Lailah giggle having already heard this bit, "Having a pet python to help keep me company while I study."

Mr. and Mrs. Sheffield both laugh and shrug it off, "Nice try, son."

Emma, the assistant announces by the table that someone is moving in next door. Something that three of them already knew.

"Guys, If you're finished, why don't you help Emma clean the dishes." Mrs. Sheffield pointed out.

Lailah almost dropped her plate from the pain in her hand, she could see Bart having the same problem.

_*_*_*_

Bart and Lailah stood in the bathroom trying to fix their wounds.

"Does your wound hurt, too," Lailah whispered.

At this point, both their wounds were purple-ish and slightly swollen. They both took turns to try to clean and wrap their wounds. Bart put his uninjured hand on her cheek, "We'll get through this together."

Lailah leaned into his touch when they heard Jory's voice.

"Melodie, you're shivering."

"No, we can't. Your parent's room is right there." Melodie whispered.

"Come on, this way. We're going to the attic." Jory said mischievously.

Lailah looked at Bart, "Should we follow them?" She asked.

Bart took her hand and followed Jory and Melodie. They snuck up into the attic and saw Jory and Melodie making out.

But this time was different, they were taking each other's clothes off. Lailah whispered, "What are they doing?"

Bart looked at her then back to the couple and decided to leave after some confusing feelings.