Declassified Part 34 The Past and the Future

Thalia wrapped her arm around Alex's chest as she stretched, feeling his heart beating beneath her palm.
      I love waking up next to Alex. She thought as she sat up, looking at his serene face. It was not a sentiment she had had when she first met him.

      She'd had a fitful sleep the night before, her sleepless brain concocting horrible scenarios between herself and Alex's family. His parents being furious at her for lying. Max being disgusted that she was an orphan. Dan calling her a liar for letting him think she'd been a spoiled and well loved child. Andy telling her he didn't even know her anymore.

      It hadn't been a great night, but Alex had, as usual, slept like the dead, oblivious to her restlessness.

      Dan hadn't said much directly to her the night before and even though he sat next to her he hadn't been his usual physical self. It had taken a bit to get used to, but his usual playful shoves and nudges had become expected. But he'd sat beside her until he left for a late shift at the bar, and he didn't touch her at all. 

      He's mad at me because I lied. She thought, getting out of bed.
      Even Alex hadn't been his usual self, seeming distracted by something.

      The only one who had been the same had been Andy who averted his eyes and remained mostly quiet all night, but gave her a smile before they went home, his big hand holding her jacket out to her, his silent peace offering. 
      At least Andy and I are okay. She thought. I think.

      Wearing shorts and a camisole, Thalia brushed her teeth and headed to the living room.
      Is Andy playing video games? She wondered, hearing the soft sounds of a game console being played at low volume.
      "Thal, you're finally up." Dan said, smiling at her from the couch.

      "Oh." Thalia was surprised to see him there. "You're up early."
      "I haven't gone to bed yet." Dan informed her. "I came over after work last night, and just stayed up all night."
      "Do you want me to get Alex?" She asked, suddenly feeling awkward.

      "No. I'm here to see you, Thalie."
      "Oh." She said quietly, bracing herself. Is he mad or is he just here to tease me about foster care? She wasn't sure which would be worse.

      "Come sit." Dan patted the couch next to him.
      Hesitantly, Thalia sat sideways on the couch, cross legged and leery as she faced him.
      "Thal." Dan frowned, uncharacteristically serious. "I'm sorry."

      Thalia smiled, trying to lighten the mood. "You're going to have to be specific about what you're sorry for, Dan." She pointed out, not having expected an apology. "You've given me a hard time every chance you got since you met me."

      Dan shrugged, looking uncomfortable. "I don't know. Everything." He knit his brows. "For assuming you were rich or that you had...."
      "Parents?" Thalia supplied.
      Dan's face fell. "I'm an asshole." He admitted, looking embarrassed.

      "I know." Thalia said, happy he wasn't angry.
      "I'm sorry I made you cry." He told her, shaking his head. "I get what you were saying about Alex not meeting your family, and I feel--" He broke off, looking lost.

      Thalia picked at a piece of Thor's fur on the couch as she thought about everything.
      "I know you were trying to protect your brother." She said after a moment. Even though Dan had hurt her feelings a lot, she understood where he'd been coming from, and she just wanted to get along with him.

      "Why didn't you just tell me you grew up in foster care?" Dan asked, his voice quiet.
      Thalia shrugged. "I don't like to talk about it." She admitted. "And when you're teasing me...." She looked him in the eye. "It doesn't exactly make me want to share personal information with you."